INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Garage pieced DZ 302

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage pieced DZ 302

So with the title it is what it says. Looking to piece together a "DZ" motor with the parts in my garage. I have an LT1 motor and just picked up a l99 from an old caprice for a steal. I would like to keep fuel injection if I can but not sure if the dizzy can handle over a 7k rpm redline. Any thought?

I have heard of this being done, both blocks are medium journals and will bolt right in and make my 302. Larger bore smaller stroke. Looking to run 11.1 or 11.5 compression to keep it streetable.

Maybe add a 75-150 shot on race day when using a higher octane from the track. Any input on the build would be great. Not sure what heads to use. Or even intake. I am stuck since not much info is out there. I again would prefer to keep fuel injection due to its ease of tuning for daily vs race tunes. Will be backed by a Toyota R150 transmission. Just doing something different. I believe a Toyota pickup with a 7k+ redline v8 screaming down the road would be a little bit of a head turner
Old 12-13-2013, 06:20 AM

The goal here is not INSANE HP and reliability at the same time. I am ok with 350hp but I need the motor to stay together. I am not unrealistic. Just mis informed and lack of information to help me. Thank you in advance
Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While their probably not lying around your garage, with as small of cube motor as you’re looking to put together and not searching for the highest output available, for heads and intake I would say LT4 components or similar would be a good choice. As far as ignition, I don’t blame you for not having the most absolute faith in the opti-spark. There is a coil-on-plug conversion available that utilizes the more modern LS1 style coil packs and just uses the factory opti-spark as the trigger.

Also, while not really condoning or condemning your idea, one of the few reasons I see for doing this is utilizing the parts you have to build a fairly high rpm package. Meaning the little motor will be able to run out to a higher rpm while still being constrained by the factory smaller port heads and induction system. Utilizing better/larger aftermarket castings, you could still pull the higher rpm and make way more power to boot keeping the motor traditionally sized.

PS: John Moss and Mark McPhail did pretty much exactly what you’re talking about doing way back when. I’m sure you can find info on their work and the outcome.

Last edited by 1Bear; 12-13-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would honestly stay away from the old SBC engines. The LS platform is much much better. The reason the old 302's looked so good was because there wasnt the cylinder head technology out there to make a normal sized engine flow. I think the old camel back heads didnt even break 200 CFM on the intake side. (I know there is a cylinder head flow database that I could check for sure) the L92 heads flow 328 CFM unported. I am just in the process of getting rid of a brand new never fired built SBC that has ported Brodix heads that didn't even break 300 CFM for a stock 6.0 that I can boost.

If you have your heart set on a SBC I would keep the cubes up to 350, and buy the best flowing heads you can afford.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

327 block 283 crank. get some vortec heads. chevy probably still sells the solid flat tappet camshaft. or try thier offroad solid flat tappet. 4bbl. intake and carb. bam.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I would honestly stay away from the old SBC engines. The LS platform is much much better. The reason the old 302's looked so good was because there wasnt the cylinder head technology out there to make a normal sized engine flow. I think the old camel back heads didnt even break 200 CFM on the intake side. (I know there is a cylinder head flow database that I could check for sure) the L92 heads flow 328 CFM unported. I am just in the process of getting rid of a brand new never fired built SBC that has ported Brodix heads that didn't even break 300 CFM for a stock 6.0 that I can boost.

If you have your heart set on a SBC I would keep the cubes up to 350, and buy the best flowing heads you can afford.
Figured someone would say this. Don't fit easily in a Toyota pickup. SBC is a plug and play in these trucks between mounts, transmission, etc.

And I don't want a 350 with big heads. I want a 302 that spins like hell and is different. Just preference and using parts I have to make it that way.

Originally Posted by craigsix
327 block 283 crank. get some vortec heads. chevy probably still sells the solid flat tappet camshaft. or try thier offroad solid flat tappet. 4bbl. intake and carb. bam.
I looked for a 327 but I want a small journal block if I do and if that is the case I need to buy special parts because of that unless the 327 comes with the pistons, rods, etc.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bore a 283 60 over.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my question is why do you want to reduce the displacement of an LT1? If you are building something "small cube" under the impression that it being small it will rev higher, what's the purpose of reving the hell out of it if you aren't expecting the best possible power numbers? Furthermore to spin one high and do it right will cost more $$ in the end. Not to mention you can spin that 350" engine just as high AND make more power doing it, probably not require as much out of the heads to get there either as it would with a smaller engine.

and if it's room in that truck you're worried about, the LS is a smaller engine than an SBC isn't it? I'm not saying take one over the other, the SBC is the most proven performer of all time, bar none.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:10 AM

It might be more narrow but it is longer. That is the issue. The motor is going into a 1990 Toyota pickup. LSx based motors barely fit in the FJ cruisers. Some guys have done an ls1 swap in these pickups but requires ALOT of fab work. I only know of 2 successful attempts. I was going to until I actually was able to talk on the phone with one of them and it just isn't for me.

I didn't do much research I will admit like I should have. I was born and bread a Ford man and new to chevy. Always appreciated them for what they were. But never for the true capability.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Ls engines are shorter and slightly wider than a small block..... plus lighter than a gen 1 or 2 in this case.

Here somebody even did all the measurements for you.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...imensions.html

If a gen 1 will go in so will a Ls. Destroking a LT1 is just a waste of energy.... plus some 2 bolt main junk bottom end spinning to 7k plus just doesn't last forever. Even the 4 bolts are nothing special if you do have a vette one. Sure guys have done it for years they say.... just forgetting to mention about the broken parts they had.... except my dad spun his 327 to 9 grand all the time they say.... in a car that never had a tach in it. And really for rpm... a buddy spins my 2 bolt roller block 355 I built to 7500 rpm constantly in his dirt track car... but its all short bursts on and off the throttle which is what attributes to it staying together with stock rods with ARP fastners and a stock crank that is all balanced.

Torque and use able power is a whole hell of a lot more fun and useful than rpm.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 12-14-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Garage pieced DZ 302