INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

good news bad news...took engine apart

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bullet cams are solid. they make a lot of stuff for tractor pull engines.

i have been nice to it lately...waiting to get the tune dialed in. with the 112, i ran it hard, but never took it to the track, never beat on it cold, frequent oil changes and rev limit was at 6200
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
considering the GM Racing Caddie CTSVR lifters (250 @ SCPC) and the LEP maggie cam 224/230 .612 116
I was on the phone with Roger Vinci (Vinci Performance) last week ordering my cam, and he asked me what I was doing for lifters and mentioned not to mess with the Caddy lifters...I didn't get a reason from him so I don't know if he said it because they're prone to failure, not worth the coin, or what. Just some food for thought.

Comp parts failures seem to be getting all too common, I put a Comp Cams decal on one of the drawers of my tool box and the drawer fell out
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I was on the phone with Roger Vinci (Vinci Performance) last week ordering my cam, and he asked me what I was doing for lifters and mentioned not to mess with the Caddy lifters...I didn't get a reason from him so I don't know if he said it because they're prone to failure, not worth the coin, or what. Just some food for thought.

Comp parts failures seem to be getting all too common, I put a Comp Cams decal on one of the drawers of my tool box and the drawer fell out

LMAO!

Must have lost all the needle bearings.

The caddy lifters are a lot heavier then stock GM's.How much I can't remember.So far least amount of failures I have seen are GM FTW.Plus those nextek valvesprings are pushin it for a hydraulic roller.I wonder what they are setup at (installed height).

How come you are using them EVILGMC?
Seems like the cam doesn't warrant it.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3

**** im gonna take the comp sticker off my toolbox before the it explodes.

thanks for the heads up on the lifters. I have heard the GMPP LS lifters work pretty damn good... same with the stockers.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
LMAO!

Must have lost all the needle bearings.

The caddy lifters are a lot heavier then stock GM's.How much I can't remember.So far least amount of failures I have seen are GM FTW.Plus those nextek valvesprings are pushin it for a hydraulic roller.I wonder what they are setup at (installed height).

How come you are using them EVILGMC?
Seems like the cam doesn't warrant it.
my 918s were floating. and the guy who specd the cam recommended the springs.

im open to any and all suggestions... im getting way too good at tearing this motor apart.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

What cam do you plan to use?
I understand the guy who grinds the cam specs the valve springs.I see a lot of people take the for sure route and order parts that are way over speced.I would think patiot golds would do the job.I would be really curious to hear what your installed height is.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
What cam do you plan to use?
I understand the guy who grinds the cam specs the valve springs.I see a lot of people take the for sure route and order parts that are way over speced.I would think patiot golds would do the job.I would be really curious to hear what your installed height is.
i honestly dont know the installed height, but can take a look this week when i go visit the mess. haha

I have heard the Patriot golds are good springs. I dont want to have to buy all new stuff. the springs, Ti retainers, pushrods and cam are only 2000 mi old.

i am considering the LEP maggie cam 224/230 .612/.612 116LSA or something similar.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn now i'm getting scared cause my truck makes a weird ticking sound and i always just dismissed it as the valves.... and i have no clue what kinda lifters the guy that built my motor put in
Old 04-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

gonna send you a Pm on Cam's
Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
LEP maggie cam 224/230 .612 116
I'm no expert, but that is the Cam I would get, has made great numbers with a maggie

Quick Reply: good news bad news...took engine apart