INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

heads for 350 vortec

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads for 350 vortec

What would be a good set of heads for a 350 vortec. I have a cold air intake and longtube headers with straight pipes with a x pipe.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:08 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Either check out the AFR vortecs, or port the heads you have. Edelbrock also has their E tec vortec heads, as well as patriot, and a few other companies. Stay away from some of the china vortec heads as they flow so much less on the low lift they will cost you power.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

I want to get some heads that will bolt right on. Are the patroit heads good. Can I get some custom made with 1.6 rockers.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Dude. Its a SBC!! There are a million heads for that motor. The only thing that makes it a VORTEC is the style of head in ot. GM called thoes heads "VORTEC". They are a good factory head. Now if your not goin up in compression, and not running a large cam, check out the Summit Racing cast Iron heads. They ar $619 for both assembled. They are the old Dart Iron Eagle heads. Summit just puts there name on them. Heck, they still say Iron Eagle. Keep the intake runner size to about 185. THEY ARE NOT LS HEADS!!! The numbers are smaller. A 200 head or bigger will slow down air volasity and kill low end power. And remember, a .500 lift cam on a SBC is a big cam. The SBC heads don't flow like a LS head so they use less lift. .600 on a SBC is a HUGE CAM.

Also check out AFR, Trick Flow, Brodix, GMPP, Edelbrock, Dart, RHS ( Racing Head Service). all these guys make heads for your SBC. From mild to wild. And you motor isn't a VORTEC man. It's a SBC. Call it a 350. Keep it old school. Cams, well you have hundreds of choices. I woild say keep the lift around .480 to .500, ground on a 112. Thats a healthy start for a SBC. Just make shure what ever heads you get can flow it.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thanx for the info. Now I have to try and figure out who to go with.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by laoutlaw
I want to get some heads that will bolt right on. Are the patroit heads good. Can I get some custom made with 1.6 rockers.
You don't have to have them " custom " made for 1.6 rockers. Just get 1.6 rockers for a 3/8th stud. Is your motor still fuel injected?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:06 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being it says he has a cold air intake It sounds like he has a vortec truck. As far as heads a vortec ported right will flow with a stock to mild ported LS head. I've built tons of those engines that made between 450-500 hp with ported factory heads. The slummit head sounds like a good deal I was wondering about those. Good factory heads are getting harder and harder to find. As far as the rockers he will need guide plates and hardend pushrods to run the non self aligning rockers. The factory heads will need the studs pulled, towers milled and taped for studs, spring pockets machined, valve guides bosses cut for spring clearence, and pushrod holes elongated or drilled larger for the 1.6 rocker. All this work makes a aftermarket casting much more attractive
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stock48
Being it says he has a cold air intake It sounds like he has a vortec truck. As far as heads a vortec ported right will flow with a stock to mild ported LS head. I've built tons of those engines that made between 450-500 hp with ported factory heads. The slummit head sounds like a good deal I was wondering about those. Good factory heads are getting harder and harder to find. As far as the rockers he will need guide plates and hardend pushrods to run the non self aligning rockers. The factory heads will need the studs pulled, towers milled and taped for studs, spring pockets machined, valve guides bosses cut for spring clearence, and pushrod holes elongated or drilled larger for the 1.6 rocker. All this work makes a aftermarket casting much more attractive
Just Scoggin Dickey in Lubock Tx. They have the Vortec heads already done, set up for 525 lift for $389.25 each and .600 lift VORTEC heads for $399.00 each. No need to have any work done to his factory heads. SD already has them done. Aluminum L98 Vette/ZZ4 heads are $552.95 each.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Herbert sells Aluminum heads for $799 a pair ready to bolt on. 1-877-364-4630. Just pic up an issue of Super Chevy, Chevy High Performance, Car Craft, ect... and you will find deals on every thing SBC in them.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

I have the spider injection 350. Will the spider injection have enough fuel for after market heads.

Quick Reply: heads for 350 vortec