INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Help with engine build! 6.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quik
a 60e will hold if not beatin on daily.....FLT this FLT that, nonFLT trans have held up to more!!!
yah yah, I'll believe that when I see it Maybe if the truck isn't a DD...

My last FLT l5 65E held up for a looong time, but I detuned for daily driving, didn't beat on it, and in the end the sprag still turned over at a stop light... A stock 80E costs less than rebuilding a 60/65E even once (let alone once every 1-1.5 years at 500 rwhp).
Old 03-16-2007, 05:29 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
yah yah, I'll believe that when I see it Maybe if the truck isn't a DD...

My last FLT l5 65E held up for a looong time, but I detuned for daily driving, didn't beat on it, and in the end the sprag still turned over at a stop light... A stock 80E costs less than rebuilding a 60/65E even once (let alone once every 1-1.5 years at 500 rwhp).
what i found out first hand that a FLT 5 costs around 3500 bucks. i spoke with the trans guy that did mine and a few other ppl on tech and he said they are making close to 2k over what some charge. my old trans was built to same specs minus harden shafts for way less then a FLT did. i pulled up the specs of their trans and had it duplicated. my trans has held up to my truck on spray along with beating on it. and im not hte only trans that guy has built eithe that has held up
Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Step away from the keyboard please.
hahaha
Old 03-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
For the LQ4/LQ9 the block and crank are the same. The rods are slightly stronger in the LQ9. If youre going to replace the pistons anyway, you'll probably replace the rods as well. So, it doesn't matter which one you pick. Grab the one with the least miles on it and start the teardown.

And the stock pistons suck. They break with very little detonation.
From 2003 on up the rods are the same in the LQ4 and the LQ9.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:52 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

FLT this FLT that, nonFLT trans have held up to more!!!
+

i pulled up the specs of their trans and had it duplicated.
= self pwnage...

what i found out first hand that a FLT 5 costs around 3500 bucks. i spoke with the trans guy that did mine and a few other ppl on tech and he said they are making close to 2k over what some charge. my old trans was built to same specs minus harden shafts for way less then a FLT did. i pulled up the specs of their trans and had it duplicated. my trans has held up to my truck on spray along with beating on it. and im not hte only trans that guy has built eithe that has held up

So in the end you found a local guy willing to just duplicate what Chuck does minus the billet shafts and undercut his prices and somehow that makes it better than the FLT? Ok... So the trans isn't actually better, just cheaper... Did he also match the FLT warranty and put it on his tranny dyno for tuning?

At any rate... the single stock rebuilt junkyard 80E with a shift kit would have cost you the same amount of money that you spent on your FLT spec "non FLT" tranny and you wouldn't have to EVER worry about it until you crossed that 750-800rwhp line.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Launching!

I'll be broke but happy and thats all that matters haha.
can a 80e hook up to a 4.8L? Also is the gearing different on the 80e? I was thinking about getting the tranny in first, that way I can sort out any problems before dropping the motor in to eliminate some down time.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Mr. Obvious

yes the 80e will hook up to the 4.8

the gearing is different in the 80e from the 60e but your can change out the internal gears in the trans to make them really close to what the 60e was, not sure if its higer or lower gears but i think i heard somehwere once that the 80e has more turbo-friendly gears
Old 03-17-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

The biggest difference in gearing is first gear. 4l60 - 3.06 4l80 - 2.48
Old 03-17-2007, 11:22 AM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
+

= self pwnage...

So in the end you found a local guy willing to just duplicate what Chuck does minus the billet shafts and undercut his prices and somehow that makes it better than the FLT? Ok... So the trans isn't actually better, just cheaper... Did he also match the FLT warranty and put it on his tranny dyno for tuning?

At any rate... the single stock rebuilt junkyard 80E with a shift kit would have cost you the same amount of money that you spent on your FLT spec "non FLT" tranny and you wouldn't have to EVER worry about it until you crossed that 750-800rwhp line.
more then cheap bud, if one would of broke i wouldnt be speaking up. you would have more into an 80 swap then what i had into my 60. but i guess since some shops arent big name they dont build good products my trans held up to abuse for over 8k with me and now lives in a stronger motor, other of his trans have held up to more abuse
Old 03-17-2007, 11:36 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

more then cheap bud, if one would of broke i wouldnt be speaking up. you would have more into an 80 swap then what i had into my 60. but i guess since some shops arent big name they dont build good products my trans held up to abuse for over 8k with me and now lives in a stronger motor, other of his trans have held up to more abuse
it's not a matter of another shop being able to build quality transmissions, I didn't go with FLT either and expect my trans to hold up to my abuses.
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. If it doesn't, you can rest assured I'll be sending it off the FLT for repair.
it's more a matter of 1. FLT's excellent reputation, 2. the fact that they are board sponsor, 3. they help people out when it's not in their best interest 4. they stand behind their product 5. they do top notch work 6. they test what they build 7. we like them
that's why you always hear about them on PT.Net, LS1Tech, etc etc.......they are a top quality shop, period, what else is their to say?

I'm thankful we have them on-board here because there are many many more shops that are just the opposite

thank you sir can I have another

Quick Reply: Help with engine build! 6.0 swap