INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

High oil pressure good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil pressure good or bad?

ive got my SS running pretty stout and backed the boost down to about 10 psi . i had my motor recently rebuilt to my tolerances , quite a bit tighter than my builder traditionally sets up . anywho i also installed the new melling , the big ol boy with the big spring iirc its the 10296 i had ran before if not it may be the new melling big big big pump i have seen make over 100 psi with the small spring i think its the 355 . im running valvoline vr1 20-50w oil now and plan to swap the sending unit because i have 40 psi of pressure after the truck has been stopped running for a few minutes and i turn the ignition to run . **** lingers lol .

i know its nice to have high volume for turbo motors but man this is crazy im afraid im going to make a oil bomb out of my oil filter.

anyway planning to make some runs now that i have it running good and a solid trans . hoping to make some 10 second passes @ 10-12 psi and go for it when i have it dialed , (using both 7.5 spring and 11.5 spring together ) the 11.5 spring nets 16-17 psi and the 7.5 makes 10-12 . so togerther it may get wild , meth has been cranked with two big ol nozzles this go and will be running some newly aquired 11x unleaded . If we hit 9's the for sale sign is going up .
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

You should be running 5W30 oil. What are you thinking? Why are you trying to pump that syrup through bearing clearances even tighter than the builder wanted? Are they tighter than stock?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would agree with ^^^... If you have tight clearences i would stick with 5-30 or 10-30.. not unless you have reasons to run a oil that thick?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah that's really thick oil man, that's gonna make you run high oil pressure, i'd drop it to a lower weight oil and i'd wager your pressure will drop down to where it should be...also are you going off the stock gauge and are you sure it's accurate? you mentioned it sticks at 40 psi, does you mean that's what it reads when it should be zero or what? might be something amiss there
Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

I too would say try the 5w30 Chase and see what results you get with the thinner viscosity. AMSOIL also sells some 0w30 you might want to try.

Damn it sounds like your excited about your truck and have it running super stout!

Why sell it if it goes nines??? I wannna 9sec street truck!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
...im running valvoline vr1 20-50w oil now..i have 40 psi of pressure after the truck has been stopped running for a few minutes and i turn the ignition to run...
Yes, something might be amiss. Good luck on those nine-second passes though!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

only thing i can think of is the sending unit which i will be changing soon , but its not stepper motor on the gauge on the dash it reads the same through hpt.

i have ran that oil on my old motor (same 427 with looser clearances) bearing setup is a bit looser than stock like any forged motor but i deceided to run the piston to wall clearance at around .003 and a few minor things. im just unsure of which pump we put in .

this oil i had been using for break in , the truck literally has 100 miles on this build and will be changing it to a synthetic soon , i have some of the xrp royal purple in 5w-30 i had left over i may give a try but still thicker oil will not make a 40 psi difference , i bet i still see 60 psi at idle after the 5w-30 change and double checking the sending unit.

my goal is to keep the heads on it , make it to 9's and then get alot of money out of it (i consider alot less than half what i have put into without considering time and labor). i have a buyer really interested and has been for a few years but i have said no , not yet . it may be time ,. it will going half way around the world. the truck being near 10 years old isnt helping either so the sooner the better.

im getting older and really want a boat for summers , something ill use a hell of alot more and let everyone enjoy.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

... bearing setup is a bit looser than stock like any forged motor...
Forged motors don't use increased bearing clearance, they have increased piston clearance. Your sending unit must be bad.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

im hoping so , its weird , i have never seen them hold psi . but it also drops a little with time so im betting its what it is . , just getting to it on my truck isnt very fun .
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

im hoping so , its weird , i have never seen them hold psi . but it also drops a little with time so im betting its what it is . , just getting to it on my truck isnt very fun .
Yeah i was just thinking how it will be a bitch to get too, prob gotta pull the intake huh?

I dont remember which pump is which either, one is high volume, one is high psi. Either way im with Mike on changing the sending unit, then switch to the 5w30.

If you get a boat we demand hottie pics like foose04 gives us !!!!

Quick Reply: High oil pressure good or bad?