INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

HOW TO Q: How to check pushrod length?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOW TO Q: How to check pushrod length?

I will attempt some of my first grease work this wkend. I've been reading up on rocker installs (Comp Pro-Magnum) and think I have it understood. They aren't the simple stock type bolts, but the adjustable stud and nut. As I only have to change 1 rocker on # 8 (pass side rr cyl), I just need to know which is intake and exhaust? The one I broke was 2nd from the end...guessing exhaust by truck's reaction! I also want to check rod length and make sure my builder didn't **** that up too bad. Do u just put the rod measuring device in, torq down the rocker and determine the proper length?
GOD PLS DONT LET THERE BE ANY BENT VALVES
Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ild/index.html

THis is some pretty good reading!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wkdivr
agreed...good reading, however, no pushrod length determination procedure covered...

here's a couple:
check tool
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=17
how to use it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/archive/i.../t-189670.html

quote from Vinci:
The Right Way To Use Adjustable Checking Pushrods to Determine Correct Pushrod Length -

To determine the correct rocker arm geometry when using an adjustable checking pushrod on a stud mounted rocker arm cylinder head and a mechanical lifter cam, do the following: Mount the complete cylinder head assembly on the engine, including the head gasket. The cam needs to be installed with the lifters that will be used in the engine. Mark the end of the valve stem with a marking pen or Dykem. Install the adjustable checking pushrod and the rocker arm. Adjust the pushrod so the rocker arm is as low as possible with the bottom of the rocker arm .060” above the hex of the stud or guideplate (whichever is closer). Set the valve lash to the recommended setting and lock the adjusting nut. Turn the engine over by hand until the rocker arm you are working with has moved a complete cycle. Now, remove the rocker arm. The roller tip of the rocker arm will have left a pattern on the end of the valve stem. This pattern of movement should be close to the center of the valve but favoring the intake side of the valve stem. If needed, adjust the length of the pushrod to achieve the correct pattern of movement.

The same process can be used with hydraulic lifters, but make sure the lifter is pumped up solid with oil. The pushrod seat in the lifter should not move. After one or two rotations of the engine, check to be sure the seat has not moved. If so, pump it up and continue your procedure. Once the correct length is determined, you can order the correct pushrods and maybe a couple of spares.

Last edited by Superado; 06-05-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thnx! I never saw this article and I have a subscription. R/
Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Superado;3934753]agreed...good reading, however, no pushrod length determination procedure covered...

Yeah, there is! You just have to click on a few pics, and the whole thing is explained. The Vinci article is good read, too
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superado
agreed...good reading, however, no pushrod length determination procedure covered...
Yeah, there is! You just have to click on a few pics, and the whole thing is explained. The Vinci article is good read, too
ahhh...I see...sorry about that...couldn't see the forest for the trees...