INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

i have a problem,and need help,with a ratchet extension,stuck in the crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a problem,and need help,with a ratchet extension,stuck in the crank

i got this 6.0 block,,but it has a ratchet extension stuck in the crank,,they used the ratchet extension to remove the pulley,,and its stuck real bad,and cant get it out,,wat do you all recommend????
best way to take it out,without damaging the crank????

post up plz,,thanks in advance,,heres a pic
Name:  IMAG1505.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  62.8 KB
Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For starters, take and lock a set of vise grips on it, try to beat it around, pull on it.. Or weld a bolt to the end of it and make you some sort of slid hammer, or heat the socket up so that it expands enough to loosen and free up.. About 10 diff ways to go about it.. From the looks of the pic it isn't stuck in the crank, just the bolt.. Hit that ***** with a BFH with at the end of the socket..
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM

we locked the vice grips,and hit the extension,,but it didnt come out,,we also heated it up,just a lil bit,cause they told me if i heat it up to much,,the crank can mess up,,,i wanted to try welding something to it,,you think that will take it out with no prob?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have tried every other way then welding to it is about the only option.. You could however center punch it rite over the nut head, be prepped to eat up a drill bit, but could loosen it that way also by drill in a few holes around it.. Sounds like somebody slammed the wrong size socket on there.. but even hitting on it should have broke it loose imo
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
If you have tried every other way then welding to it is about the only option.. You could however center punch it rite over the nut head, be prepped to eat up a drill bit, but could loosen it that way also by drill in a few holes around it.. Sounds like somebody slammed the wrong size socket on there.. but even hitting on it should have broke it loose imo
allright bro thanks,,and yea,my friend thats helping me out with the engine,,told me he has seen it before,,but they would always come out easily,,not this one,,,but im gonna go do that,and weld something on it,,thanks again,for the help bro
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude put a breaker bar on the socket an a Chester bar on to it an slam it down lefty loosey! It will come off it may round your bolt or socket though but as Mangled mentioned, nothing a welder an nut wont fix...
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

is the socket stuck to the bolt, or actually stuffed into the crank?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd guess that the threads in the crank are already messed up a bit. But they'll probably clean up.

I'd get a slidehammer, and weld a nut onto the extension that you can grab with the slidehammer. Load the crank/socket extension with penetrating lube, and go at it.

If it breaks off in there, grab a center punch, mark it dead center, and drill out the broken piece. Start small, and work your way bigger a little bit at a time.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

X2 on the slidehammer idea. More than enough reason to upgrade to a 4" crank though...
Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Get a dremel and make a cut along the length of the socket. You dont have to cut all the way though, just mostly and as soon as you try to loosen it it should crack in half.

Quick Reply: i have a problem,and need help,with a ratchet extension,stuck in the crank