INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

I have a theory (check my logic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I think it is stupid to spend all this money to beat a record on an internet forum. For you money you are going to spend you could have alot faster truck going another route. Turbo power is always there too just like N/A power but with better streetability, better gas mileage for the same power level and probably capable of more power. Just my .02, take it for what its worth.
i 100% agree with this

it would be differnt if you were staying with the stock shortblock, save the rod bolts., but you're not, you are doing a fully balanced and built 5.3L motor and for the money your could have a 370 or for a little more a 408 - custom pistons for a 5.3 arent cheap. plus then it could be built exactly the way you want it cheaper. say in 2-3 years do you think anybody will care who had the ecsb NA 5.3L truck record on pt.net, no but if you have a turbo'd truck, you will have had alot of fun in your truck and stil have fun in it. with the setup you are going to run, it will be probably a mid 13s truck on the street in full weight on street tires, a turbo truck would be considerably faster.

IMO for the street, FI is the way to go for moderate to big power. you need to think about hp-$$$ ratio, this is all JMHO

closetredneck already has a setup similar to what you are considering: stock shortblock 5.3 + rod bolts, ls6 intake wcch/edelbrock heads and a low-mid 220s cam
Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZZebes, don't give up but think realistically. Do what you can with your current setup. Drop some excess weight, do all the mods you can with the 5.3. ASAIK the HP record was set at ~340hp...start by breaking that threshold.
There are a couple ecsb's running 12's NA, no real reason why you can't if you choose all your mods wisely so they work together well. Once you've lmaxed it out go from there.
What is your best time to date?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

realisticaly the 6.0 can make close to 400rwhp with a good setup. That will put you deep into the 12's, highteens in the MPG, and good DD ability. Then after that aint fastenough add the turbo on top of that and go after wilderacing.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trever1t
ZZebes, don't give up but think realistically. Do what you can with your current setup. Drop some excess weight, do all the mods you can with the 5.3. ASAIK the HP record was set at ~340hp...start by breaking that threshold.
There are a couple ecsb's running 12's NA, no real reason why you can't if you choose all your mods wisely so they work together well. Once you've lmaxed it out go from there.
What is your best time to date?
Yeah i know and i have spoken in depth with both James(closetredneck) and AP about it before i came to the descision to go for said record but ya'll make a good point, i have to think about what i want to do since there are thousands of options. I love NA power it gives me goosebumps but the shere freight train pull and sound of a turbo is irreplacable and there are many more good kits out there than there were even a year ago, i am gonna call and talk to trick monday and call richard as well and discuss options. i was thinking maybe a 6.0 or bore my 5.3L to a 5.7 and boost it to the moon because boost and Nitrous are harder to kick than crack. but i think that i may start with a head cam package and a turbo on the 5.3L or i may bail and start with a forged 6.0 since i have no 5.3 only mods at the moment but i need my FLT to last since it is a level 4 and not a level 5 until i can send it to them for the upgrade. would it be worth putting the turbo on the 5.3L and then switching it all to a 6.0 when i get it or just wait and boost the 6.0

Plus i guess the turbo will be alot more streetable than the 11:1 comp massive cam monster i was planning. but in the end its still and i just want to break into the 12's and be streetable and then hell i'll hit it with the juice and see what happens.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

a sts with supporting mods will do that for you!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 5.3L L33 pistons are graffal coated hyperteutic.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:31 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

so....wtf does that mean? Hmm, larger valves, better flowing heads, and fancy pistons? no wonder the L33 has responded so well to modding.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:34 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

merged your dupe threads for ya
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
so....wtf does that mean? Hmm, larger valves, better flowing heads, and fancy pistons? no wonder the L33 has responded so well to modding.

ive read a couple different places that they are teflon coated pistons
Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moregrip
merged your dupe threads for ya
Thanks grip (get your truck done )

also the pistons are "graffel" coated

Quick Reply: I have a theory (check my logic)