INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

I hurt another 6 liter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hurt another 6 liter

Well it looks like i have hurt the motor in the SS AGAIN. earlier this year i had to replace a piston on number one cylinder. due to the ringlands coming apart and i was pushing oil bad. Well the same cylinder is hurt agin. ever sense i replaced that piston earlier this year the truck has been letting out a puff of smoke when i went WOT. I was thinking maybe the turbo seal was on its way out and thats what was causing the puff of smoke every time i would get on it. well i took the truck out last night and i noticed its starting to smoke every time i leave a stop light. so i did a compression test on it today and it looks like something is hurt on #1 cylinder again. it had compression but not like the other cylinders all the other cylinders had around 155lbs and #1 only had around 135 lbs. plus when i pulled the plug it was soaked in oil and it was blacker than black. all the other plugs looked good. i have put 3 motors in this truck over 5 years. out of those 3 motors i have put in the truck 2 of the motors were hurt on #1 cylinder. im not sure whats going on in that cylinder but it cant be good. im just glad the season is over here for me cause the weather will be nasty here within the next month or so. so i gonna need some help choosing some parts for a motor built for boost.

heres some pictures of the plugs i pulled today. you can which its the bad plug from #1 cylinder.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you need your injectors cleaned/tested?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
Maybe you need your injectors cleaned/tested?
yeah thats kind of what i was thinking. but this go around im building a motor for boost so ill be going with a different set of injectors. im pretty much maxing out my 42 pounders as is. plus with this new power plant i want to up the power.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shawn can you tell if theres any oil in the #1 intake runner?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skeet
shawn can you tell if theres any oil in the #1 intake runner?
i cant. everything is so tight i was tryin to look. i wouldn't mind pulling the intake to that a look. ive always had problems with that cylinder. im really thinking its the injector. i have broke a piston on that cylinder and also bent a rod on that cylinder 2 years ago.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

42's ouch. Do you self tune? i suppose you use a full time wideband? What your typical set up?( aka 9lbs of boost and meth, or whatever)
Old 09-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Ouch, bending a rod is usually hydrolocking though.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slow67
Ouch, bending a rod is usually hydrolocking though.
well that was my old motor the one right before this one. im was just showing that it is always on #1 cylinder. whats crazy about when the rod bent. the truck ran fine. it was just making a very light tapping sound. if you look in the picture of the bent rod. look at the left side skirt of the piston you will see where it was hitting the counterweight of the crank. other than the tapping noise it was ok. i shut it down right after i heard it tapping and it was fine. i know most of the time when you bend a rod its most likely due to hydrolock but right before the tapping started i went WOT and it let out a big *** backfire and it started tapping i was racing a BMW M3 on the street.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
42's ouch. Do you self tune? i suppose you use a full time wideband? What your typical set up?( aka 9lbs of boost and meth, or whatever)
well i pushed the 42 pounders as far as 14psi of boost. pretty sure they were working very hard but. it rans great on 14psi then i had a boost controller issue and over boosted went 20lbs and the motor let go. but i ran my best pass on 14lbs 12.5 at 108mph. i have never ran meth just pump gas and i once ran half 91 and half 105 octane when i ran a 65 shot plus 14lbs all on a stock motor. but that was my last motor not this one. the most this motor has seen is 8psi but im sure its still working the injectors. i think im going to run 80 pounders this go around.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

So do you log IDC? Do you have a wideband? Because at 9lbs on my 4.8L I maxed out my 42's.

Quick Reply: I hurt another 6 liter