INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

L33 with 189K miles, need solid plan for engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that may be the route i take, get some new heads and just freshen up the bottom end. I want like 10.8 - 11.0:1. I want to run a mild cam and tune the engine for 93 only and E85 when it is cheap..

Seems that i may be able to clean up the 799s and trade them towards some ported 862 heads.

As for clarification on the PCV being a likely cause of oil consumption exactly which component in the PCV system are we blaming this on? I cannot for the life of me see pulling that much oil into the engine thru a PCV valve.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

real nice engine platform
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me say this... this is my goal..

I pull a trailer with a car on it prolly 5-10 times a year, but soon to be at least every other weekend. This truck has a lot of miles on it. It is likely in need of a trans refresh, a new/or rebuilt rear axle, and the engine is using oil (for one reason or another). I want to be able to tie the trailer to it, put the racecar on there, and go anywhere racing without having to worry about it.

Ive also been known to throw a bit of mud periodically.. I plan to swap the stock tires for a set of 285s soon so i thought about going to 3.73s from the 3.42s that are there currently.

I have tossed around the idea of a turbo, but hate the idea of getting stranded should a turbo die.

I want a little better fuel economy, i run premium anyway so i thought why the hell not pump this 5.3 for all its worth efficiency wise and put it to work. Tune it specifically for 93 octane, and set it up for highway pulling in the cal.

I like the idea of staying with the 5.3 for a couple reasons, economy being the major one, if i am not pulling a trailer i would like to keep the 19mpg..

I wouldn't mind a notable cam in the truck for the once or twice that the racecar dies so i can fool around in the truck a bit.. and so that people look at it like WTF!!! (you dont see new trucks that sound like that alot arond here) Im in the process of making my own stainless headers.. So they will go on there when the engine gets done, as well as new 2.5 inch pipes dumped under bed with magnaflow mufflers.

Does all this make sense or am i just talking from my hind end??
Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by ig109
Let me say this... this is my goal..

I pull a trailer with a car on it prolly 5-10 times a year, but soon to be at least every other weekend. This truck has a lot of miles on it. It is likely in need of a trans refresh, a new/or rebuilt rear axle, and the engine is using oil (for one reason or another). I want to be able to tie the trailer to it, put the racecar on there, and go anywhere racing without having to worry about it.

Ive also been known to throw a bit of mud periodically.. I plan to swap the stock tires for a set of 285s soon so i thought about going to 3.73s from the 3.42s that are there currently.

I have tossed around the idea of a turbo, but hate the idea of getting stranded should a turbo die.

I want a little better fuel economy, i run premium anyway so i thought why the hell not pump this 5.3 for all its worth efficiency wise and put it to work. Tune it specifically for 93 octane, and set it up for highway pulling in the cal.

I like the idea of staying with the 5.3 for a couple reasons, economy being the major one, if i am not pulling a trailer i would like to keep the 19mpg..

I wouldn't mind a notable cam in the truck for the once or twice that the racecar dies so i can fool around in the truck a bit.. and so that people look at it like WTF!!! (you dont see new trucks that sound like that alot arond here) Im in the process of making my own stainless headers.. So they will go on there when the engine gets done, as well as new 2.5 inch pipes dumped under bed with magnaflow mufflers.

Does all this make sense or am i just talking from my hind end??
That's a realistic goal. I would go with a mild cam, you may maintain or even improve mileage while cruising. Before you do anything I would atleast talk to beu at sdpc. There heads are only 899 new. hey may even be able to work deal with your 799 so its less. If not sale them and get new heads milled to your spec.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can sell those 799's. I sold mine for 300 bucks a while back. If you are going to tow, and run 285's, I would consider 4.10 gears. Swap from 3.42 to 3.73 isn't worth the effort or cost.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

With 285's and the fact that you will be towing you may want to consider 4:10's
Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by indigo s10
You can sell those 799's. I sold mine for 300 bucks a while back. If you are going to tow, and run 285's, I would consider 4.10 gears. Swap from 3.42 to 3.73 isn't worth the effort or cost.
Why did you sale your 799's???
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Why did you sale your 799's???
I had a valveguide go bad. It was cheaper to replace the heads with steel valve 243's than it would have been to fix the one. After the sale of the 799's, I only had 500 bucks in it, gasket's(head and manifold) bolts, flushed and refilled radiator all included in that price. As a bonus, if I decide to throw a little bigger cam(wish I would have at the time), I have GM "yellow" valvesprings since I bought the heads assembled from SDPC.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by indigo s10
I had a valveguide go bad. It was cheaper to replace the heads with steel valve 243's than it would have been to fix the one. After the sale of the 799's, I only had 500 bucks in it, gasket's(head and manifold) bolts, flushed and refilled radiator all included in that price. As a bonus, if I decide to throw a little bigger cam(wish I would have at the time), I have GM "yellow" valvesprings since I bought the heads assembled from SDPC.
Thanks for the explaination.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the plan everyone would follow is the rings/cleanup on the short block, cylinder heads up top, cam (would like to hear suggestions on this, i would like people to hear it and know that it has work done, but will be towing so need torque..) and rock on..

I will look into the 4.10's if/when i go to a 285...

Also, I dont think anyone ever said what would cause the PCV system to suck oil down..

Thanks

Quick Reply: L33 with 189K miles, need solid plan for engine rebuild