l92 - denalli truck - cam -help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default l92 - denalli truck - cam -help

hi guyz
finally i found performance truck forum

guyz i posted in 4 forums and no one helped me dont know why!!!

hmm
i did tuned my denalli truck with the hp tuner and fitt corsa catback exhasut but im looking further for more performance , so plz guyz i nedd a cam for my truck the best cam available for my l92

but i dont want it with a rough iddle , and im not thinking to buy a converter so i need a cam that will satisfy me from 2500 rpm till 5000 or something near .
and thanks alot
Old 04-27-2007, 07:45 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I do not know any of the specifications for the standard L92 cam. If I knew that, I could perhaps help you. Also, do you have a wideband AFR meter that has logging capability for your tuner? How familiar are you with tuning? What octane gas are you going to plan to run in your Denali?

Steve
Old 04-27-2007, 08:01 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The L92 heads are so new not many people know how well they work with aftermarket cams. Also the fact that you have VVT makes another unknown. I would post in the Gen IV internal engine section at ls1tech.com. Its another spot that may have answers

Good luck

Ops I just saw you posted there.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Launching!

steve i dont know about the tunning i just tuned my car in the garage and they did everything the tune was perfect .

psm man i posted in ls1tech forum but i dont know why no one answer my q????

thats why im posting here and by the way im happy that some1 has repley me back finally .

thanks alot guys .
Old 04-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you give us the full specifications on your truck? You tuned it yourself or someone else tuned it? Was it tuned with a wideband air/fuel meter? Other then the tune you have just a corsa catback? If you just have the catback and tune I HIGHLY recommend getting some long tube headers to open it up a bit you will see almost as much of gain from the headers as the tune if the tune was done properly. With that said cams for L92 heads seem ot like exhaust bias due to their shitty intake to exhaust ratio. Those heads flow ALOT on the intake for stock castings but lack a good bit on the exhaust so you can have a nice idle and good power by going with something a 6-10* exhaust bias. Like a 212/220 on a 114 would have a good idle like you want and pull good off the stock converter. Im a fan of more reserved cams to make power right off the converter(in this case 2500), some guys like ot over-cam their motors and it shows in their times. There are alot of guys running 224 duration cams in 5.3s and they sound good and pull like crazy up top but their times arent very impressive. They are starting to realize they need a 3600-3800 stalls to make those cams work well. If it was my truck I would put a yank truck thruster 3000 in there which has damn near sotck driveability and throw a 220/226 114, you would hear that cam a little but with bumping the idle up just a hundred rpm or so it would go away and you would have a smooth stock like idle again. Hopefully this is what you are looking for. I recommend West Coast Cylinder Head to buy your cam from and Richard the owner ports these L92s so he is well aware of the characteristics of these heads and can recommend a cam better then I can, he's a great guy and will take care of you along with having a good price. They are a sponsor just click their banner to the right --------------------->
Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PSM
The L92 heads are so new not many people know how well they work with aftermarket cams. Also the fact that you have VVT makes another unknown. I would post in the Gen IV internal engine section at ls1tech.com. Its another spot that may have answers

Good luck

Ops I just saw you posted there.
teh way the heads flow you need to run more exhaust dur and lift. the only way right now is call up custom cam grinders and work it out with them, also these heads are so cheap buy'in stage 2's and a cam would be under 1k

this is one of the reassons i got a 06 denali truck, a top end l92 swap with no vvt ****
Old 04-28-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, from seeing a few of the dyno graphs of the L92's and owning a set myself, for your application i'd steer in the direction that 1slow01z71 is pointing you. These head's large runner volume really take off above 4k. There are 2 angles the way I see it, you can either take advantage of the high powerband and get a large cam, high stall etc. but this would not be practical for your truck so i'd try to improve on the low end since there is plenty up top. I'd lean torwards something in the 212/220ish but tighten the LSA up to the 112-114 range to tighten up the power band and increase cyl pressure. Depending on where the ICL was you may have some chopiness in the idle but not much and would do fine with a stock converter. I know this is a very general guess but as said, these heads are very new and not many have experience with caming them. I'm sure i'll end up with another cam before it is all said and done. The reason I have a wide LSA is to keep my DCR down since I ended up with 11.5:1 and to smooth out my idle. A choppy idle isn't as easy to drive comfortably with a manual. I want a smaller cam but really can't with the compression. I should have kept it down to the 10.5-11:1 range. I'd give some of the companies a call that have done some experimenting with these heads like WCCH, Vengence, etc.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just doing some more thinking. I wouldn't be scared to say to go with as low as 208/218, 208/220 or 210/220 on a 112 LSA +2-4* on the ICL.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Can you give us the full specifications on your truck? You tuned it yourself or someone else tuned it? Was it tuned with a wideband air/fuel meter? Other then the tune you have just a corsa catback? If you just have the catback and tune I HIGHLY recommend getting some long tube headers to open it up a bit you will see almost as much of gain from the headers as the tune if the tune was done properly. With that said cams for L92 heads seem ot like exhaust bias due to their shitty intake to exhaust ratio. Those heads flow ALOT on the intake for stock castings but lack a good bit on the exhaust so you can have a nice idle and good power by going with something a 6-10* exhaust bias. Like a 212/220 on a 114 would have a good idle like you want and pull good off the stock converter. Im a fan of more reserved cams to make power right off the converter(in this case 2500), some guys like ot over-cam their motors and it shows in their times. There are alot of guys running 224 duration cams in 5.3s and they sound good and pull like crazy up top but their times arent very impressive. They are starting to realize they need a 3600-3800 stalls to make those cams work well. If it was my truck I would put a yank truck thruster 3000 in there which has damn near sotck driveability and throw a 220/226 114, you would hear that cam a little but with bumping the idle up just a hundred rpm or so it would go away and you would have a smooth stock like idle again. Hopefully this is what you are looking for. I recommend West Coast Cylinder Head to buy your cam from and Richard the owner ports these L92s so he is well aware of the characteristics of these heads and can recommend a cam better then I can, he's a great guy and will take care of you along with having a good price. They are a sponsor just click their banner to the right --------------------->
richard hooked me up with a grind for my 192 swap in my truck. not all together yet, still piecing things together.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71

thanks man u gave me alot of new infos and tips , but still a q? i dont wanna port my heads and i entered the west coast site no cams are available man even i spend 3 hours searching for a single cam for l92 and didnt found nothing !!! if i knewed before that my l92 has vvt cam **** then i swear i wouldn't by my new denalli truck .

and about the tune yes it was tuned by wideband air-fuel on dynomax dyno .
the tune was perfect .

no rice thanks for the repley but grind my cams is the last thing i will think off i did grind a cam before and later my head was fully damaged .

one last q??? what i have understand here that they r no cams yet for the new l92 engine right???

and again thanks alot guys . u gave me alot of infos here

Quick Reply: l92 - denalli truck - cam -help