INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

L92 setup for a LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 PM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so let me get this straight, the L92 heads will bolt up to an Lq4 shortblock with no problems, the valves are not too large? You just need the corresponding intake manifold and gasket correct?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

KB,
There is the issue of throttle body compatibility. My LQ4 has a cable-actuated throttle with three mounting holes. This is incompatible with the 4 bolt 90 mm design on the new L92 manifold. Also, there is the issue of the injector connector and electrical interface that I raised earlier. What kind of vehicle do you have? Especially, is it a cable-operated throttle or is it electronic with integral idle air control and cruise control operation. All of this can be dealt with, but it's probably not going to be fully plug and play. Also, the new L92 equipped vehicles have dual electric cooling fans and the air intake duct that runs from the air cleaner to the TB will be set up differently from the LQ4/LQ9 80 or 85 mm setup.

My whole point back in post 19 https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...6&postcount=19 is that if the new L92 manifold doesn't flow reasonably better than the LQ4/LQ9 and if the injectors aren't compatible, etc. then the whole exercise of going to the L92 head may not be very beneficial. You might be better off to get a decent pair of CNC ported cathedral style heads instead and save all the drama of multiple modifications.

Richard pointed out some time ago that it would be great if FAST made a truck specific intake. This FAST concept would be easier than adapting the L92 in many cases.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bryant; 02-01-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

Wow, thanks for the info Steve. I have a 2006 Silverado with drive by wire and electric fans, but I still would not want to mess with the airbox location and anything else simply because i can't afford to do so lol. I'll just stick to the proven combos.

Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

you can get the l76 intake package with throttle body(electric) from SDPC. Then you can go ahead and get a nick william 90mm TB cable style if that's what came stock. The injectors and fuel rails will have to be modified. Why dont you use the l76 car intake with the l92 heads?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

subscribing
Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Originally Posted by silverbrick
you can get the l76 intake package with throttle body(electric) from SDPC. Then you can go ahead and get a nick william 90mm TB cable style if that's what came stock. The injectors and fuel rails will have to be modified. Why dont you use the l76 car intake with the l92 heads?
The throttle body is too low to clear the fan and fan shroud if you use the L76 intake. The TB needs to sit about three inches taller for the truck versus the car. That was true for the LS1/6 versus the truck (LQ4/LQ9) on the older Gen III installations and it is true today L76 versus L92. Each is designed the way it needs to be designed for proper drivetrain packaging.

Another way to look at this is if you put a car intake on a truck application, how will you get the intake duct installed to the inlet side of the TB without running into the fan/shroud? The water pumps are made differently for the same/similar reasons.

Steve
Old 02-01-2007, 11:11 PM

O you are talking about still using the clutch fan. I missed that part
Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't see this article mentioned yet. Richard, this is some interestig data to compare to what your shop ends up with since they list all the flow data they got.

gmhighperformance

They swapped the stock LS2 heads for L92 and then went a little further and compared the GMPP carb style intake to the L76 car intake which is offered here now. It even lists the GM part numbers.

In any event they got some good numbers. Personally I like the L92 heads with the L76 intake that comes with a throttle body, rails and injectors (39lb) for about $500. Pretty good bang for the buck when paired with the L92 heads.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by meatwad
In any event they got some good numbers. Personally I like the L92 heads with the L76 intake that comes with a throttle body, rails and injectors (39lb) for about $500. Pretty good bang for the buck when paired with the L92 heads.
only thing with that is I don't know how to convert my return style system into a returnless OR somehow put some LS1 vette 1997 return rails and injectors onto the l76 intake....

You have any ideas? PM me so no thread jack anyone
Old 02-02-2007, 12:23 AM
FormerVendor

I read the article in GMHTP and it looked pretty nice. It shows the potential of the L92 heads in stock form. As mentioned above fitting the injector rails could pose some small problems, but I'm certain this will be easily resolved.
I've been crunching on the L92 CNC program off and on for the last 3 months and I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I should have a Stage 2 program ready in a couple of weeks. Intake valves are delayed until the end of Febuary. In the meantime we're using REV custom valves. I'll post some flow data when the program is finalized and hopefully some dyno data very soon after.

Richard

Quick Reply: L92 setup for a LQ4