INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Labor on cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labor on cam swap?

Just wondering what the shops in the US are charging for a cam swap? I live in Canada and have talked to 3 places now and they are telling me $2500 without parts. I have a 2003 5.3L and most places are saying you have to pull the heads and change lifters. That and pulling the MP122 to get the valley cover off would be most of the time in it. What are you guys doing to get around this? This is not looking as simple as I had thought anyhow. Any input would be great.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

holy ****, I will fly out there and do it for that much lol. Do it yourself, it super easy.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha damn is that $2500 us dollars or what, that is expensive. Just a basic cam swap isn't bad if you haven't done one before on these LS engines. Make sure you have all the right tools to take everything off and install the valve springs or you will end up spending more time than you think on the cam swap.

Up to you if you want to upgrade your stock lifters, you really don't have to plenty of guys I know with sts turbo kits used the stock lifters on 2003-2005 gm trucks. If you wanted to upgrade just get some ls7 lifters and be done with it.

I cant stress this enough Remember to already have all parts bought for the cam swap (gaskets, the right tools,all the cam swap parts, fluids,timing chain if you want to upgrade it, ect) if you do it yourself or you will be spending 3 days on doing the swap by not being (ready)..

Yeah a lot of guys on different forums says cam swaps on these trucks are easy or doesn't take long at all. While the cam swap is pretty easy, don't believe that you will be done with the cam swap in 4-6 hours like I have seen some people post on pretty much every forum which is misleading to the average person. The guys that do cam swaps quickly have been doing it on these LS engines many times is why it doesn't take them that long.
If you or your mechanic isn't very familiar with these LS engines it will probably take you 2-3 full days to do your cam swap because more than likely if they aren't familiar with LS engines they probably don't have the proper tools at hand but the cam swap overall is easy don't let this detour you it's just gonna take more time than most people says.
I just wanted to post that and let you know it will probably take you longer than you think.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

i'm rocking the stock lifters

Cam change with pushrods and springs is ~$400-$600
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys! I knew that it could be done the easy way with only pulling rods, springs and cam but thought i should double check before i lost all interest in the swap. While we are on the topic.... What ya think of this cam for my truck? 212/220 .558/.564 115LSA +2 advance. Thinking this would be a nice cam with the MP122 without loosing to much DD friendliness.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
12 Second Truck Club

what a rip off. you definitely don't have to pull the heads or change lifters. read that ls1howto link. it should cost ~500 in parts for cam, springs, fluids. then do it yourself in about 6 hours.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:50 AM
Banned

my cam swap with springs and rods cost me 300 ... and if i wanted lifters done i think 500 ... and it took him about 5 hours ...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrmchevyman
haha damn is that $2500 us dollars or what, that is expensive. Just a basic cam swap isn't bad if you haven't done one before on these LS engines. Make sure you have all the right tools to take everything off and install the valve springs or you will end up spending more time than you think on the cam swap.

Up to you if you want to upgrade your stock lifters, you really don't have to plenty of guys I know with sts turbo kits used the stock lifters on 2003-2005 gm trucks. If you wanted to upgrade just get some ls7 lifters and be done with it.

I cant stress this enough Remember to already have all parts bought for the cam swap (gaskets, the right tools,all the cam swap parts, fluids,timing chain if you want to upgrade it, ect) if you do it yourself or you will be spending 3 days on doing the swap by not being (ready)..

Yeah a lot of guys on different forums says cam swaps on these trucks are easy or doesn't take long at all. While the cam swap is pretty easy, don't believe that you will be done with the cam swap in 4-6 hours like I have seen some people post on pretty much every forum which is misleading to the average person. The guys that do cam swaps quickly have been doing it on these LS engines many times is why it doesn't take them that long.
If you or your mechanic isn't very familiar with these LS engines it will probably take you 2-3 full days to do your cam swap because more than likely if they aren't familiar with LS engines they probably don't have the proper tools at hand but the cam swap overall is easy don't let this detour you it's just gonna take more time than most people say.
I just wanted to post that and let you know it will probably take you longer than you think.
Finally someone speaks as it is, thank you.
I agree 100% w/. this post. Yep, while a cam itself might not be that bad, springs will add a bit more time. Once u get past the cost of parts (whether it's just a cam or u do springs & so on), jrmchevyman is absolutely correct, it wastes so much time if you're running down tools & parts, or waiting for them to ship. I went thru this only a while back, & concur. Familiarity is the other piece of the puzzle. I'd almost like to do another just to see how much faster I could do it.

Oh ya, if doin lifters, if I'm not mistaken, all that u can get now are the LS7 lifters; less than $200 shipped. Some even replace the lifter trays.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Finally someone speaks as it is, thank you.
I agree 100% w/. this post. Yep, while a cam itself might not be that bad, springs will add a bit more time. Once u get past the cost of parts (whether it's just a cam or u do springs & so on), jrmchevyman is absolutely correct, it wastes so much time if you're running down tools & parts, or waiting for them to ship. I went thru this only a while back, & concur. Familiarity is the other piece of the puzzle. I'd almost like to do another just to see how much faster I could do it.

Oh ya, if doin lifters, if I'm not mistaken, all that u can get now are the LS7 lifters; less than $200 shipped. Some even replace the lifter trays.
The lifter trays are so cheap it's silly not to replace them...and yes, doing the springs can take more time than the cam swap itself, but with the right tool (Crane tool), it's very easy, just tedious. My first cam and spring swap I used 3 different style spring tools and struggled unbelievably, and ended up having a spring on #8 shift and the crank style compressor gouge the valve stem, which I believe is now the source of my oil consumption. The second time around, when I swapped my Comp 915's for yellow LS6's, I had the Crane tool, and it took me about an hour to do the springs in my driveway.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Aren't the 915's capable of more lift than the LS6 springs? Or is that the 921's that can handle more lift? If 921 is correct p/n.

Also, that Crane (now VHP) tool is awesome (Jersey accent). Or is it Joysey accent?
I wouldn't do an LS swap w/o it.

Quick Reply: Labor on cam swap?