INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

leakdown test how-to??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zick
I'm not disagreeing on the fact that bad valve seals will cause a startup smoke issue but I'd like to share some info that will cause the same symptoms.

After putting my basically new engine together (05' block w/ 1500 miles & brand new patriot heads) I started having a very bad oil consumption problem. It would smoke real bad at startup, so I naturally assumed it was bad seals. But I also was doubting this too since the heads are brand new.
So instead of digging into the heads to replace the seals I figure I try a easier route first to troubleshoot this problem.

I noticed that with a catch can in place of the pcv system I was getting some oil into it but it didn't seem like very much compared to what I was going through in a months time (2-3 quarts). So I thought that maybe the oil is getting past the catch can and still getting into the intake. So I went to autozone, picked up a clear inline gas filter and put it after the catch can. As soon as I started the engine, you could see a ton of oil going throught it.
After this I completly removed the pcv system and installed a couple breathers in place. Its been over a month since I've done this and I no longer have the startup smoke nor am I burning anymore oil.

Just my .02
Good info!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zick,, ive never thought about that being a problem with oil consumption... ive always thought mine used oil because i ran it so hard. But since my trans is starting to slip, ive been driving it easy, so now will know if its the abuse it sees or if its what your talkin about..
DO you have any pictures of what you did?
Did you just remove the hose goin to the intake and put a breather on that, and plug the hole in the intake?

Thanks, im very interested.
SORRY, not tryin to hijack here..
Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here they are. The first picture in the bottom left you can see the line that goes to the TB, which is plugged off. I need to remove that completly to clean it up a bit.
Next two are the driver side rear valve cover pvc valve with the breather on top of it.
4th is the top of the intake manifold.
5th & 6th are just more shots of the passenger front side.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

you and i both have a 2000 noniesalman so here are my plans to do with the PCV delete.
alright here are some pictures so i know what im doing...

cap that...

cap that too and then remove the hose that connects them both?

this is the other hose from back driverside valve cover to manifold?

unbolt that bracket on top and pull the hose off and cap that nipple? (squeezed the hose and it feels like foam around and inner hose, is this right?

put the small autozone breather there

and put the larger thunderracing breather here, helix mount LS1 style
Old 08-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Not to hijack the thread, I have done the LS6 pcv conversion and it has helped put alot, but I still have a little oil consumption. Could you do the breather's with ls6 conversion?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 08-15-2006, 09:02 AM

probably as long as you found all the correct hoses and everything.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Soon2bSpooled - I think that you have it correctly. On the driver's side the PCV hose is hard plastic inside foam insulation. I don't think you need to remove the cover to pull it off the nipple but better safe than sorry. There is a small rubber hose that joins the hard plastic line to the TB nipple and you should be able to just pull it off and put the cap on.

You may still have some blow-by so it might not hurt to do a leakdown test. I am not sure how to tell if a piston is at TDC on the compression stroke but maybe someone on here can answer your question about that.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:05 AM

yup thats what im still wondering, saw a leakdown tool complete kit minus compressor which i already have for 69.99$ i just need to find out how to get it to TDC