INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Loud squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squeal

Coming from my truck after it's warmed up. It was running fine until I put on a TBSS intake. Can't figure how switching intakes would have caused this. I'm afraid it might be a main bearing as it is loudest under the truck. At first I though it might be the alternator but I have verified it isn't anything driven by the main belt.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you sure there isn't an air leak? You said you had RPMs not going down on decel....indicating an air leak
Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

No I'm not 100% sure of that. Guess I can run and get some new intake gaskets although the RPM on decel problem doesn't seem to be a problem any longer. With the squealing as loud as it would be hard to believe it's an air leak but anythings possible. I know some new gaskets are sure cheaper than a new engine.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

You just replaced the manifold. It's highly unlikely that something catastrophic happened right when you made that change. It's something related to the manifold.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree with you there I just get worried about my stuff falling apart to easily with my bad luck.

So guess I'm off to get some intake gaskets now.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I think I figured it out and it wasn't the intake gaskets although it was probably good I replaced them anyway. Seems the port I chose to use for the pcv/crankcase vent in the passenger side valve cover is too much vacuum for it. I unhooked it and went for a drive and no more squeal (at least not yet). Now I need to figure out where to hook that thing up.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

You could just put a breather on it and then cap off the PCV line.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll sure have to figure something out. The TBSS intake doesn't have the same port for that vent like the truck intake so I tried using a T off of the port on the top. Apparently that was a bad Idea.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
You could just put a breather on it and then cap off the PCV line.
There was a good thread around here not too long ago about the benefits of a properly working PCV system, I can't understand why anyone would want to eliminate it.

The hose going to the passenger side is just a vent, and the driver's side that has the PCV requires vacuum. I believe that the newer (than mine at least) trucks have a fitting for the vent on the throttle body. You could always drill a hole in the air intake tube and fab some sort of plastic fitting to plastic weld/hot glue/whatever, and run the vent hose to there, or get a newer throttle body, depending on what's available and will work on your truck...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckmann
I'll sure have to figure something out. The TBSS intake doesn't have the same port for that vent like the truck intake so I tried using a T off of the port on the top. Apparently that was a bad Idea.
Yep.

That squeal is from the PCV system I'm willing to bet. I had the same thing on my truck when I install both Krank Vents into my PCV system. When I removed the one on the front, it was back to fine.

Quick Reply: Loud squeal