INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LS6 springs with a vinci 216 224 .551 .551 -115??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the specs of that cam close at hand? If the cam's an aggressive design, he might be suggesting this for the seat pressure of a heavier duty spring, as the LS6 spring I mentioned the PN for above only has 90lb of closed seat pressure; fine for a milder cam but for something ground on an aggressive ramp you'd want much more.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

I have the LS6 springs on my cam with 578 lift for over a year without any problems...
Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He did mention it was an aggressive ramp.
It doesn't matter to me, Id rather over build than under build.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

i actually talked to him earlier and he pretty much insisted that ls6 would NOT work with the cam....
Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ramps are pretty fast on that cam; you'll be better off with a set of springs that has more seat pressure.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Most of you guys are forgetting the fact it is not just about the lift of the cam but also the lobe profile. A cam with a aggressive ramp rate is going to require a stiffer spring, while a LS6 spring may be good to .XXX lift it doesnt mean it was designed for a aggressive lobe. If Roger Vince says it won't work then I would take his word. I think the LS6 springs are a great reliable spring but I wouldn't push them past there designed specs due to the obvious. Just a FYI, with my patriot golds I hear no more valve train noise then I did with the stock springs.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000silvrx81
i actually talked to him earlier and he pretty much insisted that ls6 would NOT work with the cam....
With the Trucker? That's interesting since he told me the exact opposite...might have had something to do with the fact that when I bought the cam, Crane was totally under and he no longer had springs in stock, so maybe he was just trying to clear out the last few cams that he had and would say anything to get it off of his shelf...I've spoken with Roger three or four times, and one thing that I've learned about him, he is an excellent salesman. I was set on a 220/224 grind, and he talked me into the Trucker, which coincidentally was all that he had left...

Now he's totally stocked with springs...which he wants to sell...hmm

Let's not forget something else...while a cam with aggressive lobes and ramp rates will require more seat pressure, a "heavy" spring has it's drawbacks also. All of that seat pressure gets transmitted to the rest of the valvetrain, including the lifters. I have concerns about putting unnecessary stress on lifters that require that the heads be removed if they collapse.

As seen a few posts above, there are a few members here running around with the Trucker and the LS6 springs without any problems, and as I mentioned earlier, SDPC recommends the LS6 springs with their Z+220, which is a Crane grind cut off the same lobes as the Trucker...

Last edited by budhayes3; 07-08-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
If Roger Vince says it won't work then I would take his word.
Roger is a very knowledgeable guy for sure, but as I mentioned above, he is an excellent salesman. He told me that my springs would be fine when he wanted to sell me a cam and didn't have any springs in stock, then told 2000silvrx81 to absolutely not use the LS6 springs now that he has rows and rows of springs to move off of his shelves...I used to trust his word after the first few times that I spoke with him, but after my last conversation with him, and what I've learned here, I unfortunately feel that my last suspicion was correct: he's more of a businessman than a fellow enthusiast. Sad, I really liked the guy too

*EDIT* Almost forgot...kinda off topic, but on the topic of Roger Vinci...when I bought my Trucker from him, he told me to stay away from the Caddy lifters for whatever reason (I had to get off the phone and didn't have the time to find out why not). He had nothing to lose or gain by giving me this info, so I'm sure that he has a reason for it. If anybody happens to contact him any time soon, please inquire with him about his opinion of the Caddy lifters...curious to see if he still feels the same way, and why

Last edited by budhayes3; 07-08-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Being a fellow salesman, I can understand his POV. It's our nature.
However, being that many guys have the yellow springs without problems, that has to stand for something. So, do you buy single beehives, with a CHANCE of loosing a valve or do you over kill it, with a CHANCE of loosing a lifter? 6 one way, half a dozen the next. But which is more probable? Which will cause more damage? Neither would be a fun fix regardless. I have to say his customer service has been great so far, and I have yet to buy anything from him. He's very quick with emails and each one contain great detail. I wasn't set on anything in particular. I just mention to him that I ran the cam quest 6 and sort of found a starting point. Told him what I wanted to use the truck for, what I use it for now, and my driving habits. I told him i've heard tons about the trucker, but being I have a 2500hd, he said I might be interested in the butt kicker instead. Also, I spoke to Fran at Race proven motor sports and he also said they use double springs in EVERYTHING they build. I have a friend who has a vette there right now being built and he sent me to him. However I don't think he wanted to provide me with something I was looking for. He said I should go with a comp 224/227 114, don't know the lift but the more and more I look around, it doesn't look like that would have suited my interests very well. Like I told Roger, its like buying tires, you'll almost never know if you'll like them until you just step up and try them. Two months ago, I was just going to go with a TR 224/224 114 and be done, but further research took me elsewhere. No one is really wrong here, its all personal preference.
I'll ask him about the caddy lifters bud. See what he has to say about it. I can understand if a man wants to sell his product, but, if its a dam good product, is that a crime? The only crime I see is the price difference between the two springs. I dunno. Guess for those of us who don't have a cam yet will just have to pick one and hope for the best.
wow did I just type all of this, holy crap.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Well Crane/Vinci does have a good product, I won't argue with that, and Roger has always been accommodating on the phone, I'm just a little taken back by his inconsistency with his recommendation, and got a weird feeling that he was pretty desperate to move the parts that he had left the last time I spoke with him. I don't blame him, it's his job, his business, but I just think that others should know that maybe some of these businessmen aren't looking out for our best interests all of the time.

If I had the dough, I'd jump on the Crane Gold rockers that are on special for a killer deal right now, and possibly pair them up with the Stangbanger that I was once set on in the past. Businessman or not, the product is still a good one

Thanks for asking him about the caddy lifters buddy

Quick Reply: LS6 springs with a vinci 216 224 .551 .551 -115??