INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LS9 heads ( any info )

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS9 heads ( any info )

hoping Richard could help me out with this or any other lagit engine builder

thinking about going another route on the heads for the 408, i hadnt found much info about the ls9 heads except theyre great for forced induction but not so on NA setups, just wondering if they can me ported good enough to work well with NA setups..

did find that the castings are way superior than the ls3/l92 casting ( stronger )
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Cylinder head details

The basic cylinder head design of the LS9 is similar to the L92-type head found on the LS3 V-8, but it is cast with a premium A356T6 alloy that is better at handling the heat generated by the supercharged engine - particularly in the bridge area of the cylinder head, between the intake and exhaust valves.

In addition to the special aluminum alloy, each head is created with a rotocast method. Also known as spin casting, the process involves pouring the molten alloy into a rotating mold. This makes for more even distribution of the material and virtually eliminates porosity - air bubbles or pockets trapped in the casting - for a stronger finished product.

Although the heads are based on the L92 design, they feature swirl-inducing wings that are cast into the intake ports. This improves the mixture motion of the pressurized air/fuel charge. The charge enters the combustion chambers via titanium intake valves that measure 2.16 inches (55 mm) in diameter. Spent gases exit the chambers through 1.59-inch (40.4 mm) hollow stem sodium-filled exhaust valves. The titanium intake and sodium-filled exhaust valves are used for their lightweight and high-rpm capability.

wonder if the swirl wing can be ported out? looking for pics lol
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just run a LS7 head maybe? i dunno man. keep us updated im curious with you
Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
i would if i had the ls7 FAST LSXr intake but since i dont im limited to what heads i can run..
Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by skeet
i would if i had the ls7 FAST LSXr intake but since i dont im limited to what heads i can run..
just sell it to me for 500.00

keep us posted though man! i love learning all i can about this stuff
Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
LS7 heads require a 4.100" bore or larger to work correctly.. On the LS3 the bore is only 4.060ish so intake valve will hit
Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The LS7s require a different intake manifold as well as being designed for the larger bore, but if you've got the shortblock to handle a serious head (with the correct bore size) then the LS7s are the way to go IMO.

The LS9s are absolutely a great piece and intake runner placement is the same as the L92/LS3 head. Rotational or "spin" casting has been around for a long time and does greatly improve the strength of the casting. Less porosity, more solidity = a stronger head which is perfect for an engine that needs OEM reliability and still make a metric ****-ton of power/torque. As far as running them on a N/A setup, I absolutely do think that port work on both sides should be done to optimize the runner. I think that in the hands of the right porter, these heads could be the factory casting to have for nitrous builds due to the increased deck thickness and strength. I would imagine that sealing under extremely high cylinder pressures would be very much improved.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
The LS7s require a different intake manifold as well as being designed for the larger bore, but if you've got the shortblock to handle a serious head (with the correct bore size) then the LS7s are the way to go IMO.

The LS9s are absolutely a great piece and intake runner placement is the same as the L92/LS3 head. Rotational or "spin" casting has been around for a long time and does greatly improve the strength of the casting. Less porosity, more solidity = a stronger head which is perfect for an engine that needs OEM reliability and still make a metric ****-ton of power/torque. As far as running them on a N/A setup, I absolutely do think that port work on both sides should be done to optimize the runner. I think that in the hands of the right porter, these heads could be the factory casting to have for nitrous builds due to the increased deck thickness and strength. I would imagine that sealing under extremely high cylinder pressures would be very much improved.
thanks Ben, gonna talk richard monday
Old 11-14-2010, 05:10 PM

sweet! lemme know what's said man!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have made this post last week, i could have shot you some pics of ported ls9 heads. They are on the car now, and the base is already bolted on. They didn't take out much, but i cant get into that. Even stock the blower it the limiting factor with them. Only saw 659 rwhp and 700lbs of torque (but starting at 2800 rpm lol) all porting the heads did was drop the boost and made the same power. Blower was running out of push and getting hot.

The ls9 is impressive the head bolts dwarf stock ls3's in diameter. The deck is super thick and castings are almost flawless.

We're working on another car that will run ported heads, nasty cam, ported snout, but stock exhaust so its up in the air.

Check the vett forums there is info on the cars...

Quick Reply: LS9 heads ( any info )