INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

LS9 heads ( any info )

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1dirtybird
Should have made this post last week, i could have shot you some pics of ported ls9 heads. They are on the car now, and the base is already bolted on. They didn't take out much, but i cant get into that. Even stock the blower it the limiting factor with them. Only saw 659 rwhp and 700lbs of torque (but starting at 2800 rpm lol) all porting the heads did was drop the boost and made the same power. Blower was running out of push and getting hot.

The ls9 is impressive the head bolts dwarf stock ls3's in diameter. The deck is super thick and castings are almost flawless.

We're working on another car that will run ported heads, nasty cam, ported snout, but stock exhaust so its up in the air.

Check the vett forums there is info on the cars...
thanks, but thats just it, i am wanting to see how they would work NA or on nitrous only
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think price will hinder your search.....
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I think price will hinder your search.....

whats price have to do with what im asking ?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can buy l92 castings for~250 each ls9 castings are bare are over 800... flow data puts them almost the same... I can tell you we threw over 15lbs at the ls9 with stock bolts and stock head gaskets.. not even a wimper.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

you can buy l92 castings for~250 each ls9 castings are bare are over 800... flow data puts them almost the same... I can tell you we threw over 15lbs at the ls9 with stock bolts and stock head gaskets.. not even a wimper.

yeah i run the ls3 heads now, i was just seeing what heads are out there ( better ) then someone mentioned ls9 heads, BUT my thing is. im wanting some good flowing heads NA which i do know the ls3 heads are, but would they beable to handle a substantual amount of nitrous? 200-300 tops. thus leaning towards the ls9 head, if it can perform as good or better NA..yeah i checked the pricing on he ls9 heads and youre right there not cheap, but price isnt a matter right now, performance is, this is going on my new 408 build.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would say as good NA,at the least. I think thay would handle the amounts you are looking at: seeing the amount of boost they are handeling.

One thing to keep in mind is the ls9 heads and block are drilled for the larger head bolts.... I will see if i can snake you a picture of ls3 and ls9 bolts side by side

Last edited by 1dirtybird; 11-15-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I would say as good NA,at the least. I think thay would handle the amounts you are looking at: seeing the amount of boost they are handeling.

One thing to keep in mind is the ls9 heads and block are drilled for the larger head bolts.... I will see if i can snake you a picture of ls3 and ls9 bolts side by side

thanks side by side pics would be great
Old 11-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Teching In

The heads you have will be fine... cylinder pressures won't be that high (that it worries me). PM me for details on how to make them stay down if that's what you're worried about..
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dbtbss
The heads you have will be fine... cylinder pressures won't be that high (that it worries me). PM me for details on how to make them stay down if that's what you're worried about..
thanks kurt, its not that im worried about cylinder pressure, all im asking is will the ls9 heads out perform the ls3 heads on a NA setup or will be a over kill? , i know how the ls9 heads perform on a supercharged zr1 or any other for the fact.. what im looking at is better performance heads for the 408 but in NA form but still able to use the FAST LSXr intake. my searching and thinking is i probably havent even put the ls3 heads to there full potiental?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skeet
thanks kurt, its not that im worried about cylinder pressure, all im asking is will the ls9 heads out perform the ls3 heads on a NA setup or will be a over kill? , i know how the ls9 heads perform on a supercharged zr1 or any other for the fact.. what im looking at is better performance heads for the 408 but in NA form but still able to use the FAST LSXr intake. my searching and thinking is i probably havent even put the ls3 heads to there full potiental?
PM returned... Rock what you got brother. Plenty of room for more cubes. Maybe one day you will come to the darkside :noturbosmilietoinserthere:

Quick Reply: LS9 heads ( any info )