INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

mild build.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mild build.

Hello gents.

I've read all the super duper build-ups here and am impressed. Well, this is not really what I am after. Here are my thoughts and reasons. I own a 2000 rcsb with a 5.3. I basically want a low cost (relative term) 6.0 build up. I am just not sure about what direction i want to go. Here is my list,,please any advise is welcomed

1. 6.0 block honed .005
2. forged pistions
3. stock crank
4. ls6 heads slightly worked (gasket matched) I chose these for cost and they have the lightweight valves in them
5. truck manifold with ported throttle body.
6. As far as cam,,i dont know,,arround a tr220 on 114, 918's titanium locks etc

Already have on the truck

1. FIPK
2. ported throttle body
3. underdrive pulley
4. nelson tune
5. thorley try y headers
6. high flow cats , custom 2.5 mandral y into 3.5 inch pipe bullet dumped out side of truck before rear tire
7. yank tt2600
8. built 4l60
9. big tranny cooler
10. 4.10 with lsd
11. nx 150 shot

I have admired all you guys for the 402-408 build ups with crazy power,,but i dont want the headache of having to change to ls6 intake or a fast system or any crazy meth injection type stuff. I would be willing to go to a 3000-3200 stall, but i dont want to have to mess with separate fuel lines. Basically i want to max out what a stock truck intake and ported throttle body can reasonably handle. I also drive this truck 12000-15000 miles a year and race about 6-10 times a year at the track only. With all the new heads out from our sponsers and the new l92 and other heads,,i figured a mildly reworked set of Zo6 heads would suit me fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated,,anyone have any problems i might encounter,,etc. Thanks for your help.

Jason
Old 05-29-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The build up sounds fine. One thing though, what are you paying for the LS6 heads? You might be able to buy a used set of ported heads for around the same price. What are your power/ET goals?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jason,

Not that I'm much of an expert on staying mild (I either don't touch it at all or say it's gonna be mild, and then replace everything but the license plate bolts), but I'd recommend this:

- If you're going to machine the block, go .030 over and have a 370. Pistons and machining will cost the same (or close) as the honing alone. Make sure to include a good set of rings -- Are you doing nitrous pistons and high comp?
- Add rod bolts so you can spin it up if you want to.
- Allow for a rebalance on the crank, and polishing journals as needed (shouldn't need it on a good block)
- Stick with the 317 heads that come on the 6.0. The LS6 heads perform virtually the same but are generally more expensive in my experience
- Cam and springs depends on you power goals (as does the gasket match on the heads).
- I'd either keep the tt2600 or match the converter to the cam

A cheap alternative might be to punch your 5.3 out to a forged 5.7 -- then you already have the block and crank, but I'm not sure if the 5.3 rods are as tough as the LQ9 rods (don't think they are).
Old 05-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your et/power goals? Are you going to continue to spray nitrous or are you going to put some kind of FI on it? Those will help the advice be more accurate. Also you may want to call WCCH they have some good motor programs out there and can take care of you for a very reasonable price.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:35 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
...you may want to call WCCH they have some good motor programs out there and can take care of you for a very reasonable price.
+1
Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 PM
FormerVendor

Be careful about using the light weight exhaust valves with any power adders. The exhaust valve heads like to fall off when you least expect it
Raising compression and higher flowing heads are really going to help this engine mod. Matching the cam and converter are very important especially for street driven applications. Idle quality and driveability are generally more important than shear horsepower. The LS6 heads make a nice economical swap, just don't get too wrapped up with the light weight valves.

Feel free to call us at the shop and we'll be happy to go over your engine needs.

Richard
Old 06-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks everyone

Hey guys,

wow,,,exhaust valves comeing off,,ok,,not so good. I have hours and hours of researching on the ''search'' feature, and have heard (read) nothing but good about WCCH. I think I will be going with them. Besides,,Mapquests says im only 56 miles from them,,,no sweat.

Dont have any heads other than what are on it,,,was just a theory that a set of used heads cleaned up would be economical,,,probably wrong though.

Goals

Daily, or almost daily driven. Dont care about gas mileage, but do care about smog. Have no problem using 91 octane exclusively. Definetally will be spraying. Have a 150 nx wet kit now, but will be steping up to a progressive 200+ shot. I dont want to say i want to go XX.00 in the quarter mile as I may need more motor than I am willing to spend money on. Basically have a hot 6.0 with a hot n2o set up for the handful of times i go to the quartermile track. As far as high compression / low compression. Highest I can get away with, run pump 91 gas and have no issues spraying. Also,,I dont want to go through the hassle of an exotic fuel system. Simple replacement intank pump with a booster inline pump if needed, possibly injectors and a good nelson tune. Lastly, I am not going to be using any form of FI ( turbo / super charger) Just naturally aspirated, and squeeze on the track. Think I will just make an appointment with Richard and go talk to him.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help and advice.

Jason
Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

No need for an appointment. Just call or come on by and we'll be happy to go over your options with you. We're at the shop monday through friday 8am till 5pm.

See you soon Jason.

Richard
Old 06-01-2007, 05:40 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
...We're at the shop monday through friday 8am till 5pm.

Richard
Except when you choose to stay longer. It's not every day though...only monday through friday.