INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Modding my first LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding my first LQ4

Hi guys. I got a LQ4 from a 2001 Silverado. Its going to be dropped into a 2000 Silverado 1500. My goal is about 450 HP. I have $2,000 to spend on mods. My dad is the old redneck type, and he told me im wasting my money that these are trashy engines and i can't do anything with $2,000 and i would love more than anything to shut him up. i KNOW these 6.0's have tons of potential and im looking to wake it up. He has an 08 Charger SRT and im looking to beat that with my truck.

You guys are better than me as i barely know anything. But here are some mods i was looking at. If you guys have a better way, please tell me cause im new to this.

1) Keep the stock heads and get a Z06 Cam, or L92 heads with a custom grind cam.
2) LS3 or LS6 Intake Manifold
3) Pacesetter LT's
4) Custom Tune

Later on this truck will run boost. If that makes a difference in all of that ^

I already have a shift kit and torque converter and my next step will be to get it installed with a new built tranny. cause i heard the 5.3 tranny cant hold up to a 6.0 engine.

Also. He says i need to get forged pistons and all this other jazz or my engine wont last 2k miles. I really dont believe him as he has jewed me in the past.
1) I took my truck with me and i've been customizing that. I had two cars that i left at home. I paid $800 for a 1990 C4 Vette and a $6500 00 WS6. I had a chromed out 383 stroker sitting in our shop. He took the engine and dropped it into my vette and sold it for 4500 -_- then my brother wrecked my trans am (totalled). They never paid me for anything. So yes, they're ******** and i just want something better than them.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you're on the right track with the L92 heads. They will keep the compression lower on the LQ4 which will love boost down the road. I think 450 is pretty attainable with those heads, LS3 intake, cam and headers. You won't even have to go that crazy with the cam to get that power out of the LS3 top end on a 6.0. Maybe something like this?
EPS Camshaft LS 222/242.

Do you already have the motor? Is it a 2wd truck? You may want to think about the 1 7/8" texas speed f Body headers if you're running a decent size cam and L92 heads with thoughts of FI down the road. Also, you will need a new torque converter to make this truck run well with the new power, is that included in the 2k modding money?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will say this skip the 60e trans that you now have and get an 80e which is the trans normally associated with the 6.0 trucks. Even a built 60e won't hold up to the kind of abuse I think you are looking to put on this thing. Plus a stock 80e is good to over 500hp and will cost you less than half of a built 60e.

After that you should definitely get the following...

Decent size stall I think a 3600 or so would be just right.
Trutrac or similiar with 4:10 gears
Pacesetter Longtube headers (don't waste your money on more expensive ones if you are going boosted down the road)
Custom Tune from a reputable tuner(look to the right of your screen)

After the should comes the could.....

The stock 317 heads are already decent for boost and have reasonable flow rates. If anything get them worked over to increase flow.

I think a 226/230 .580ish on 115 LSA cam would make for a smooth idle and a good big boost cam. (I like Patriot gold extreme valve springs personal thought)

Skip the LS3 intake and go with an intake off of a TBSS/07 or newer truck. With a 90mm drive by cable throttle body from PTM. (stock on that intake is 87mm drivebywire which won't work) Straight forward swap with good gains on a budget.

Upgrade your fuel system if you use the rails off the new intake awesome just add some 42# injectors(or bigger) and definitely Aeromotive 340L fuel pump.

Add some average bolt-ons. CAI, Exhaust, E-fans, etc.

With all that stuff you will have reliable power with good prep for the future. I may have left out a few things, but plenty more people will likely chime in.

Last edited by gamble686; 10-10-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:13 PM

Yes, i have the motor. Like i said, im in college and i literally have nowhere but the parking lot to put it. So its sitting in the back of my truck on a tire. Its upright, and tie strapped down tight. I just picked it up 3 days ago. I have everything plugged and the engine itself wrapped in 3 layers of plastic And yes its 2WD.

If i take it home, my dad will sell it. Hes a ***** >:[ Thats why im looking to have it in within the month. Its hell hauling this thing around. Im hoping he wont sell the 5.3 i swap out, cause he wont get much for it.

Also im in South Carolina. There is a place in columbia that people take silverados to for a good tune. I was going to go up there and see what they're all about. I've seen a 1200HP Vette and a nasty camaro come out of there. And thats where my friend took his truck. Ima try that for my tune. Theres nowhere in Myrtle Beach to get a tune or engine work. Its lame.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM

This would help me out alot. Im going to be buying parts tomorrow if i can figure out what to get.

Lay down step by step what to do. Like keep the heads, change them. Whatever it may be. (If i need to get L92 heads, ill just try to find a slightly used set. Cause new is expensive to me) What cam, what parts. Kinda like that.

I have electric fans, shift kit, torque conv., dual exhaust(already installed), cold air intake. That is if he hasnt done something with them.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My setup works pretty good, but im staying N/A... well i might spray it next year.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Step 1) 2wd 80e Transmission from a local Junk yard

2)headers

3)Torque Converter Use the ask Chris Feature.

4)Trans Cooler

5)Keep the Heads.

6)Cam package Get the Dual springs and custom grind cam. Following specs 226/230 .600/.600 LSA115+2

7)Call Ron's Machining Service 1800-694-3098 Ask for a Valuetrac with 4:10 gears package.

8)Pick a good tuner. Live tune if you have a good local tuner. If not give Nelson Performance, or Blackbear or Wheatly or whoever else is on this board a call and get your tune lined out by mail.

That should be a dang good start. Click on the underlined words they are direct links.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by gamble686
Step 1) 2wd 80e Transmission from a local Junk yard

2)headers

3)Torque Converter Use the ask Chris Feature.

4)Trans Cooler

5)Keep the Heads.

6)Cam package Get the Dual springs and custom grind cam. Following specs 226/230 .600/.600 LSA115+2

7)Call Ron's Machining Service 1800-694-3098 Ask for a Valuetrac with 4:10 gears package.

8)Pick a good tuner. Live tune if you have a good local tuner. If not give Nelson Performance, or Blackbear or Wheatly or whoever else is on this board a call and get your tune lined out by mail.

That should be a dang good start. Click on the underlined words they are direct links.
You sir, are amazing.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

One small change get these headers instead....
CalSpeed & Performance Stainless Steel 1-3/4" Long Tube Headers with 3" Stainless Y-pipe for 99-06 Silverado
Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Would those work with my dual exhaust?

Another thing. If i paint them with high temp paint, will it flake off or no?
My truck is a show truck. Failed to mention that.

Quick Reply: Modding my first LQ4