INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Modding my first LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just putting a used radix on it right off the bat? I saw one on ebay sell for just over 2k. I have had mine on my stock block for over 80k miles and no problems. Stock trans too with a few upgrades.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that going boosted on a stock 60e is a serious roll of the dice. He already has the 6.0 waiting to be modded.

As for your questions about the headers you would need to modify them to fit your dual exhaust or get your own exhaust made for the headers back. As for high temp paint it all depends on the quality of the job. I really like the stainless look, but if done right it could last. (not just rattle canned)

As for your statement about being a showtruck.... what exactly do you mean? Is it dropped really low or something? Or you just really like having a clean truck?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhotrodscooter
My setup works pretty good, but im staying N/A... well i might spray it next year.
x2!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Drewski92 (11-07-2019)
Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think no 1 is keeping in mind his on a $2K BUDGET .....Check this guy out his set is very very mild and it runs like a champ im perty sure with a cam like so and a converter and some long tubes youll be able to out run your dad's car Cammed 6.0L 4x4 Silverado - 13.163 @ 100.08 mph - YouTube ps his a member on here ..
Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM

When i said show truck, i mean show truck. Its lowered, but not too low. It has 20s. Custom paint job. Engine is chromed and painted. Interior is all custom. Roll pan and LED Bar taillight. All that junk. I was thinking maybe i should do this engine the same way, just with performance parts. I WAS going to bag it out, but i changed my mind. Glad i didnt.

So basically im doing the performance parts right now to have it haul ***. Just cause i wanna haul ***. I dont really do shows anymore, but in case i ever do id like the engine to look nice too I'll make a vid of everything if i can get around to it. Im going to chrome the 6.0 out and accent it with some custom *** blue color. It doesnt have a name :/

My buddy is the main reason i got my 6.0. He had one twin turbo'd, and needless to say the engine was blown. He built another one with a small kenny bell, and its badass. So i guess i might as well give it a try :p
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM
traveling mod

If you wanna haul *** for rite now get an 80e/converter,spray it with a used kit off here and get a good dyno tune..

Hittin it with a 150 shot would prob put you close to his car,prob wont beat it but keep up with it...

Is this truck a single cab or ext??
Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Truck is a single cab.

Im going to drop the engine to the shop either later today or tomorrow to have them go through and clean it up, and check everything on it. They said they can port and polish the stock heads, should i go that route for now?

Another thing. My dads friend works at the shop. He's begging me to make it a 408 Stroker. :l If i go that route, will things be more difficult? Or will i love the outcome? he says he can make it a nasty engine. But like i said, i dont know much. If it will be worth it, i guess i can use some of my student loan money
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a really scary road to go down. A 408 will be a total beast however if they don't deal much with LS motors I wouldn't let them touch it. As for p&p on the stock heads. I think that is a great idea especially with your future plans for boost. I think a 6.0 plus 80e and stall with cam and P&P heads and a custom tune and you will be blowing peoples doors off in a RCSB.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM

I wouldnt trust them then. People up north know what they're doing. Down here, if it aint carb'd, they dont know what to do with it. Fuel Injection is a whole new world where i live (Myrtle Beach, SC).

Im getting a free set of Racing Pullies I dont know what the hell they do, or what they do, but they're giving me racing pullies (My dads friend). So tomorrow im going to tell them what i want done to it. Custom Grind Cam, P&P heads, and Racing Pullies(Fo Free) and LT Headers. I still have to order the stall. THey said when i get my cam in they'll pick out the appropriate stall. They're also repainting things and cleaning it up for free. So w00t.

Ill get the tune when i get it dropped in. The way it is down here is you have to take it to so many different shops who specialize in so many different things. One shop does amazing machine work, but will only build an engine if it's carb'd. So im going to get him to do my head work and my cam, then im going to go to a junkyard and get the tranny, but in order to get it installed i have to take it to ANOTHER shop that specializes in tranny and exhaust (when i'll also get the LTs installed).

Its a stressful thing down here. Im going to take night classes to learn how to build engines. Bawlin.

Major Plus. The big thing down here is ricers. lol. I cant wait to poop on civics :p

Last edited by Dinosaur; 10-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Don't the early 6.0s have the longer crank that doesn't work with the 4l60e?

Honestly, if you're aiming for that much HP down the road just get the 80e and be done. Put a shift kit in the 80e and a tune and you've got a very stout setup.

6.0, 4l80e. ebay headers and a tune in a reg cab 1500 will leave you saying wow even without a cam and converter.

Quick Reply: Modding my first LQ4