INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

My 03 Denali for massive HP

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 03 Denali for massive HP

Hello everyone, Im new here, I was referred to your forum by boost at http://www.TahoeForum.com.
They have given me a lot of good information and told me to check here for more info.

I have a 2003 Denali with the LQ4 6.0L...I would love to pump out as much power as possible without yet getting into Superchargers and Turbos.

of course, I cant do anything until I get back to California as I am currently deployed in Iraq. But I'd love to push this truck to the limit.

Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to building engines..Im only 20 and have never really dealt with it before..atleast not the internals...(odd because Im a Mechanic for the Army? not a bad one either hahaha)

First off...back in Late 06, my Cat. collapsed in on itself...it was under warranty so I took it to the GM shop and they fixed it...one year and a few weeks later, it did the same...but due to the few extra weeks late, it was no longer covered under the extra 1 year warranty for that part. I then had to buy a high flow cat to drive it from Oklahoma back home to Cali before I left to Iraq. What would cause this?

2nd, I was wondering what heads, cams, all this stuff does for the engine. I've searched through your forums and have found TONS of very excellent topics on them, Im just having a hard time understanding. I would like know get what everyone is talking about, I'd rather not be ignorant if I can do something about it.

I was wondering what would be best for my truck (1/4 mile type)?
would it be possible to bring a stock LQ4 to 500hp+ without some sort of forced induction?

Thank you anyone and everyone who is willing to take their time and try to help me better understand!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all welcome to the forum.

Catalytic coverters are covered under a federal warranty for 8 years...the dealer was liable for the replacement, you got ripped.

Take it slow, one or two mods at a time. An engine is an air pump...More air in and more air out = more power.

Intake and exaust with good tuning are good starts. 500hp without a power adder, not very likely, no.

Let me personally thank you for your service to your country
Old 11-08-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

if its a denali than i believe it's got the LQ9, which has got higher compression.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

The Sierra denali's were lq4 through 04 and when they switched to crew cabs they went lq9 in 05. The yukon Denali's were always lq4's. They just had higher hp ratings than a normal lq4.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Thank you Trever, I appreciate it! =)

soo...up to 8 years huh? yea...I got fvcked.. =( They knew I only had 1 week before I took it to California to store it also because I told them I was leaving to Iraq...maybe thats why they said that, because I wouldnt be around long enough to fight it?

well I know you cant give me an exact number, because every vehicle, engine, setup, etc. is different. but... with heads, cams, intake, exhaust, tune....(larger injectors also?) and maybe a few other minor mods...do you believe I could get close to 400-450? then with a charger of some sort, maybe break 500s?

nah, I believe the LQ9s came the in Escalade? but I know for a fact my truck is an LQ4..maybe the new Denalis have the LQ9?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PSM
The Sierra denali's were lq4 through 04 and when they switched to crew cabs they went lq9 in 05. The yukon Denali's were always lq4's. They just had higher hp ratings than a normal lq4.
:inserts shoe in mouth

thanks for clearin that up before i spread any more bad info
Old 11-08-2008, 08:54 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I think the LQ4 guys are getting pretty close to 400 (have to check the dynomometer list) without sacraficing dependability. FI no problem, many of us are over 500 to the wheels in our daily drivers. Heck mine is only a 5.3 and I go nowhere without it.

Where in CA is "home" for you?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Teching In

so you say 400 without FI is doable? only reason I want the power before FI is because that will be the single most expensive piece and the most amount of power...if I get up pretty high without it...then add the FI last, it will be even better..well, plus a re-tune

Sacramento is home for me...you from Cali as well?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Your Sierra is bad *** btw....11.6 in the 1/4? thats bad ***...what can you do to get it into the 10s? ...I know there is no way in hell I'll get my 6000lb SUV into 11s...or 12s...but I'd like to blow some doors off here and there..moreso then it already does

I bet people get pretty upset when they pull up to you on the street..next thing you know, they havent passed over the first crosswalk by the time your through the intersection hahah
Old 11-08-2008, 09:13 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I live in San Jose, a bunch of us from the area meet up often at Sacramento Raceway, watch the Western section for GTG's.

With a 0-60mph ~3.2 seconds, yeah but I don't drive all out on the street

Thanks for the props. 10's...never, noway, not with this little engine I am gunning for a 11.499 to be asked to leave the park on video...my goal. My race weight is 5200lbs, there is no reason why you couldn't get into 12's.

Quick Reply: My 03 Denali for massive HP