INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

My 03 Denali for massive HP

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heh...actually, I googled "cams" to learn about them and went to that site/thread..I read a lot about them..but even still..after the first 2 paragraphs..I was already lost =/

so you say our exhaust manifolds are efficient enough that short tubes wouldnt make that much of a difference?...so the only way we can possible go....is up, by using the long tubes?

Lets say I was to get some nice longtube headers, a full exhaust system right now....would I have to change any of that stuff after I started changing heads, and cams, and super/turbo - chargers? or could I jump the gun and get the easy, instant gains done first?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on your goals for total power, but if you size things right then you can do the exhaust now and not hurt yourself for later. What I mean by size is if you go duals no bigger than 2.5" or single no bigger than 3". These trucks need tq to get them moving so going a little small on the exhaust helps retain that. The dual 2.5" exhaust should last you till atleast 450 rwhp(500-600 engine hp) and the single 3" a bit before 450.

Most of the bolt on header and cat back packages are sized for just adding to the stock truck, but will still help when you start making big power from heads, forced induction, etc.

Its the cam that is a bit more **** about how you spec it vs what mods you have. With a cam if you spec if for a NA( naturally aspirated) motor it will not work with boost very well. But there are boost cams that will work fine NA before you put supercharger/turbo on them.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Teching In

ohhh ok.. I see, because when I had my flowmaster put on...when it was stock, it was of course 3" dual from manifolds, through the X pipe, into one muffler, then a single 3" from muffler out...

then after they put the Flowmaster dual in/dual out...they downsized the pipe to 2.5" on each side...I thought I was getting robbed... but ok, that makes sense now..Im guessing they did that to compensate for 2 open tubes leading out when it came to back pressure?

also, I hear of everyone with all these mods being done...heads, cams, F/I...everyone else is running different exhaust...some more exotic....would I have to trash the Flowmaster if I started with these mods?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blizzardx23
....would I have to trash the Flowmaster if I started with these mods?
Not necessarily but a lot of members here would tell you to lose the Flowmasters because they don't flow very well. They sound great but (usually) aren't considered the 'best' for performance. Without knowing which model Flowmaster you have, it's difficult to say but Magnaflow is considered a better performance muffler. Also, you don't really have to buy a complete cat-back system...you can replace just the muffler if you'd rather.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Teching In

does Super40 sound right for the truck? and.....I couldnt buy a cat-back system anyways could I? In California, High-Flows are illegal... (I have ONE out of two as a high flow cuz that side has collapsed two cats in one year) but it should still pass smog...however, its still illegal..I believe...

so to keep it legal but get the best performance, I would get what brand long tube headers.....and a different exhaust? I want something that sounds throaty like American Muscle...a deep sound to it, loud when I really get on it...

I've looked at a Dynatech system for above $1k, a Borla system for above $1k, I've heard of people using Corsa, Magnaflow, and a few others...what would give me that deep roar with the power Im looking for? I dont want it to be stupid loud at idle..but when I really get on it, I want people to hear it..I wouldnt mind a nice deep sound at idle though either, just not extremely loud..
Old 11-10-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

does Super40 sound right for the truck? and.....I couldnt buy a cat-back system anyways could I? In California, High-Flows are illegal... (I have ONE out of two as a high flow cuz that side has collapsed two cats in one year) but it should still pass smog...however, its still illegal..I believe...
Typically, a cat-back system replaces everything AFTER the catalytic converter so you're okay there. As far as I know, the Super40 is used and liked by lots of truck owners. No idea how it measures up performance-wise.

so to keep it legal but get the best performance, I would get what brand long tube headers.....and a different exhaust?
Actually, I don't think ANY long-tube headers are legal in California. Only CARB-approved products are legal and I don't know of any LTs that have the CARB designation. I could be wrong...it happens.

I've looked at a Dynatech system for above $1k, a Borla system for above $1k, I've heard of people using Corsa, Magnaflow, and a few others...what would give me that deep roar with the power Im looking for? I dont want it to be stupid loud at idle..but when I really get on it, I want people to hear it..I wouldnt mind a nice deep sound at idle though either, just not extremely loud..
I suspect you'd find the sound you're describing with Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow and several other mufflers as well; typically the longer the muffler's case (length), the quieter they are at idle. Most people will tell you that the preferred sound is a personal choice and it's hard to recommend a muffler that will suit someone else's tastes but you seldom hear anyone complain (too much) about the sound of Borla/Corsa/Magnaflow.

Again, good luck...and come home safe!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would never buy a muffler based on it's supposed performance. Magnaflow is considered the best muffler you can get for free flow/performance and I still notice a big difference with a cutout before the muffler.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
Actually, I don't think ANY long-tube headers are legal in California. Only CARB-approved products are legal and I don't know of any LTs that have the CARB designation. I could be wrong...it happens.
Again, good luck...and come home safe!
I believe you are unfortunately correct sir
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming in late and didn't read much past the previous three posts but yes, definitely, LT's are not CARB approved.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Damn smog tests!! Hmmm...maybe I can get LTs then make it to where its an easy swap for the old headers with an extension to make up for the lost length? when it comes time to smog?

for now, should I make cutouts in my exhaust? where would I do that, how big (of a circle?), and do you feel/hear a difference?

Quick Reply: My 03 Denali for massive HP