INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

My machine shop's complaint

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My machine shop's complaint

I went to my machine shop to see if they had finished boring my 5.3 block from 3.78" to 3.905" for my 383 stroker build. He said that they had, and then proceeded to complain that it took them all day to remove .125 from the cylinders (had to do 6 passes or something).

The good thing is that he didn't try to charge me extra.

Is this a pretty big bore job or do they not have the proper equipment to do that kind of work a little easier?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that he complained after he did the job says it all.imo. You better check those bores or get a blueprint of the block.So you have somthin to go on if have problems with the it later.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

better get the block sonic checked for thickness. i built a 383 and cracked to sleeves
Old 01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
The fact that he complained after he did the job says it all.imo. You better check those bores or get a blueprint of the block.So you have somthin to go on if have problems with the it later.
this x 146546546842468. if a machine shop says anything other than, sorry it took awhile to get to, we had alot to finish up, or yes we have finished it and everything is good to go, then get it checked into IMMEDIATELY.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Machinist's shouldn't be complaining on how long it takes to overbore cylinders, it's not like they're boring them by hand lol (unless they are, they did in the old...old days). I'd be concerned about how competent that machinist is.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

better get the block sonic checked for thickness. i built a 383 and cracked to sleeves
Which block was this in? Does anyone know the min wall thickness for reliability? This is an iron block LM7.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’d suggest a minimum wall thickness of 0.100”, which if you get a good 4.8L / 5.3L block with minimum core shift you can obtain, but you will need to have the block sonic checked to make sure. The blocks are common enough that if at all possible, I would have several checked and go with the one that gives you the best numbers. Of course you will be looking at other areas of the block as well for overall condition, but even at 0.120” over, it is possible to find blocks that will clean up with a minimum wall thickness of 0.115” or more. You may think it’s a waste to have several checked, but when you’re putting the money into it to build a stroker, I look at as more of a guarantee against your investment vs what you would loose if the block failed.

I know you’ve already paid for all the machining on your current block, and if the machinist already checked the block and can give you the numbers great, but if not, just like everyone has already suggested, get it checked and if the numbers come up short, I would just suck it up and get another block to build off of. You would rather end up with it being a learning experience than a financial pit. Hey, even if the machinist didn’t check it before boring, maybe you got lucky and can rock it anyway.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, I will have it checked. Maybe an LQ9 block and pistons are in my future if it doesn't pan out.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

After that comment by the machine shop I would be concerned..
Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by swift700
I went to my machine shop to see if they had finished boring my 5.3 block from 3.78" to 3.905" for my 383 stroker build. He said that they had, and then proceeded to complain that it took them all day to remove .125 from the cylinders (had to do 6 passes or something).

The good thing is that he didn't try to charge me extra.

Is this a pretty big bore job or do they not have the proper equipment to do that kind of work a little easier?

I wouldn't be concerned. You should be concerned if he didn't say something. By .020 out at a time means he not only took it easy on his machine, he was competent enough to not take alot out at one time. You gotta understand how the machine works that does it. It could deflect as it's cutting, and you get a oblong bore or big in some area and not in another by trying to get greedy with how much you take out. Problem with doing it right..is it takes all freakin day to take out that much material and he didn't get paid to run the machine and have a guy on it all day. So the complaint. But regardless of what he was being paid, he still did it right.

Quick Reply: My machine shop's complaint