Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea, just giving you another option
Old 11-27-2009, 01:00 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd look into using Ed Curtis, He is $450 shipped. Theres no point in trying to worry about where to get the cheapest custom cam, your not paying for the cam your paying for someone's know how to spec it to your individual needs...
Old 11-27-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont understand why everyone first reaction is to have everyone else do things for them like a baby. All the info you could ever want about selecting a camshaft is all online. Plus, there is tons of info searchable on this forum that will tell you what works and what doesn't. I recently did some searching on how to spec a turbo cam on google and came up with some good reading. With a very efficient hot side (like well designed headers) cams with equal intake and exhaust duration are preferred. If there is restriction on the ehxaust side, such as a log manifold, then typically the intake duration should be 6 degrees more than intake duration. However, stock48 is having outstanding results with his Isky 215/215 single pattern cam. Given your needs, something in the 212 to 218 intake duration would work great.

It's also of note that in my reading it was reiterated over and over that for turbo applications it is very difficult to end up better than the stock cam. The stock 6.0 cam is validated into the 9s in a camaro. So it ends up becoming a cost vs benefit thing.

Last edited by GMCtrk; 11-27-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCtrk

It's also of note that in my reading it was reiterated over and over that for turbo applications it is very difficult to end up better than the stock cam. The stock 6.0 cam is validated into the 9s in a camaro. So it ends up becoming a cost vs benefit thing.
Which 6.0L cam was this? Specs?
Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

196/207 or whatever it is. It's the same as the ls1 cam post 2001 and up. I forgot the member's name, but he's got a reg cab on here with a turbo'd 347 running a stock ls1 cam into the 10s
Old 11-27-2009, 02:10 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I dont understand why everyone first reaction is to have everyone else do things for them like a baby. All the info you could ever want about selecting a camshaft is all online. Plus, there is tons of info searchable on this forum that will tell you what works and what doesn't. I recently did some searching on how to spec a turbo cam on google and came up with some good reading. With a very efficient hot side (like well designed headers) cams with equal intake and exhaust duration are preferred. If there is restriction on the ehxaust side, such as a log manifold, then typically the exhaust duration should be 6 degrees more than intake duration. However, stock48 is having outstanding results with his Isky 215/215 single pattern cam. Given your needs, something in the 212 to 218 intake duration would work great.

Lets be honest, There's more harm then good then that can come out of listening to BS THEORIES that float around on the internet, and even the misinformation from this site...
Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most people are smart enough to figure out what is BS and what is not. There is some really good info on this site. The whole point of this site is to debunk myths and BS.

It really comes down to what type of person you are in general. If you are a cerebral person, then naturally you'd want to understand things and figure things out on your own.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Sexy Party Mod

I dont understand why everyone first reaction is to have everyone else do things for them like a baby. All the info you could ever want about selecting a camshaft is all online. Plus, there is tons of info searchable on this forum that will tell you what works and what doesn't.
Agreed! I'm not trying to be a dick here but I must get on my soapbox for a few seconds. :The search button here and on LS1tech work extremely well. If you aren't doing anything totally out of the norm, then I'm willing to bet that at least 10 people have similar setups with similar goals in mind.

Whats the best heads for the money? What cam is the best? etc. Everyone has individual goals and setups but the answers are here. Its like that jackass that always cheated off the smart kids in class and squeeked by with a C but got out into the real world and didn't have a clue about what he was doing. Do some research. Get your hands dirty. Learn something. Thats what this site is here for. Not for giving out free answers.

Oh and BTW- Patrick G an administrator on LS1tech can spec a cam for a fee and even get you a discount so if you wanna take the easy way out, there it is.

Ed Curtis is good too but I didn't do very well with his grind. Just my personal experience but he has been known to put together some very nice grinds that run great times. He's a little pricey as well.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m not going to try and argue for which one is better, a off the shelf or a custom, the whole point is to get the cam best suited to your combination. It doesn’t matter whether the cam is a custom or off the shelf if it was spec’d incorrectly, it will still run like a turd or at least be down on power. For the most part off the shelf cams will work great as long as the owner chooses the right one. Most of the cam companies and/or engine builders will at least get you pointed in the right direction. The off the shelf cams are not just random grinds, they are what was determined by the manufacturer to work in most applications. There is no incentive for cam companies to just produce sticks with bumps on them, they intend on them to work and rely on word of mouth that they worked in so & so’s car. A custom may very well produce better results in a given application, by all rights they should IF the purchaser is honest the person spec-ing the cam and the person spec-ing the cam is not a hack. I guess the bottom line is how many times have you seen where a builder has went the half a dozen cams to get the power, torque or just overall combination the way they want it. Even the top engine builders in the country don’t typically get it right the 1st time and if they did, they wouldn’t know until they tried a couple of more bumpsticks to make sure.

I will also agree that even though people are trying new combinations constantly, there are tons of them running basically the same combo with proven results, so if you’re really interested in getting whatever results, all you need to do is a little research. One last thing, be honest with yourself as to whether you intend on having the combo properly tuned or have the ability to do it yourself. There are a boat load of motors that never put out quite what they could, just because the tuning is off.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy
I cannot seem to remember the guys name on here, but IIRC he can get custom grind ISKY cams that are supposed to be great for turbo applications.
stock48.