INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Need help for upcoming project

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help for upcoming project

Ok so after being of 3 different forums and hearing numerous opinions I want yalls help.
Within the next few months I want to go into my motor.
Im not looking for a 9 second truck.
This is my DD and I need to keep it that way.
Im goal is to get into the 13s in the quarter, but still have a truck that i can drive daily dependable.
Im looking into cams, but lost as to where to go for rod, springs, heads and what kind of cam.
I want it to pull good through out the range.
Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me ideas who have a similar set up to what im looking for.
I have a 05 GMC Crew Cab. 5.3 built 4l60e, CAI, tune, 3:73s truetrac on 28" tires.
hate to admit it but i have very little experience with this, this will be the first and last thing i will have installed by someone other than me. Just need to get an idea of what I will need, what works best with what, and get a general idea of the money ill be getting into

Last edited by samuel6731; 01-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is your DD and only source of transportaion I would not do anything but a custom tune, ive learned the hard way that when you cause a problem with your DD....it sucks. Last year I had to drive my 3500 Silverado (6.0 Gas) back in forth to work which is a 77 mile round trip for two months while my Avalanche was down.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

If you want dead nuts reliable and something you can install yourself you could get a tvs1900 from magnacharger. If thats not enough you can add a blower cam and exhaust upgrades.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Exhaust is done already.
Custom tune isn't just cutting it for me.
I plan on buying another vehicle this summer sometimes.
When I say it's my dd its more of me implying that I don't want nothing crazy.
Somethings that's going to. Give me good street power. And I tow a boat maybe 2 times a year but it's not for about 3 miles.
Right now I'm in the high 15s I just want 13s or so.
Will look into the Magna charger. If it's something that you can do yourself I'll end up saving money prob.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

you can definitely do it yourself, its basically just taking the intake off and throwing the blower on, magnachargers kit is very complete and their instructions are good
Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

blower is the way to go in a crew cab if you got the dough
Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Teching In

yeah if i got the dough, but for the price of one i could buy a peice of **** and make it a sleeper.
Im not sure, i guess ima have to talk to my local shop and see what they recommend.
I cant take the slowness anymore
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bone stock lq9 short block,mid 220's cam package from a vendor,stock 243 heads,headers of your liking and a 3200 stall converter from circle-d..

A 2wd crew would have no problems running 13 year round with that setup..
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by samuel6731
Ok so after being of 3 different forums and hearing numerous opinions I want yalls help.
Within the next few months I want to go into my motor.
Im not looking for a 9 second truck.
This is my DD and I need to keep it that way.
Im goal is to get into the 13s in the quarter, but still have a truck that i can drive daily dependable.
Im looking into cams, but lost as to where to go for rod, springs, heads and what kind of cam.
I want it to pull good through out the range.
Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me ideas who have a similar set up to what im looking for.
I have a 05 GMC Crew Cab. 5.3 built 4l60e, CAI, tune, 3:73s truetrac on 28" tires.
hate to admit it but i have very little experience with this, this will be the first and last thing i will have installed by someone other than me. Just need to get an idea of what I will need, what works best with what, and get a general idea of the money ill be getting into

for what you want ( 13s ) the money you would spend on heads,cam and other misc. parts id go with a lq9 6.0 that'll get you the number youre looking for.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by samuel6731
yeah if i got the dough, but for the price of one i could buy a peice of **** and make it a sleeper.
Im not sure, i guess ima have to talk to my local shop and see what they recommend.
I cant take the slowness anymore
i would search the classifieds on here. complete blower setups can be had on here for great deals! A tvs1900 and a blower cam would make your truck scream

Quick Reply: Need help for upcoming project