INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Noob Looking for Cam Performance that will also Pass MD Smog.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Looking for Cam Performance that will also Pass MD Smog.

2000 Silverado 5.3, K&N CAI Flowmaster low restriction exhaust Diablo tune, 4wd 4.56's on 35's.

Can anyone whose been there done that recommend a cam that will help provide better low and mid-range power over tha stock OEM cam and still pass the MD smog test here?

Truck shares daily driving duties with my import, (for gas mileage), and occassionally pulls a tandem bike trailer to bike rallys. I'm looking for a little something extra to complement the 4.56's I just had installed.

I figured someone here has already discovered a "magic bullet" cam that will help with what I'm looking for and still pass the sniff test every 2 years.

I'm not much with the search function for something like this.

Appreciate any help/feedback.
Thanks, V1
Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

stock trans and stall? The 212/218 seems to be a popular cam for low range torque
Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

By MD to you mean Maryland. All the test here are OBDII, as long as you have no DTC's you'll pass with almost anything.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would look in to the.....
comp 206/212
vinci 210/218
comp 212/218 low lift version

Any of these will do great for your set up with strong bottomend torque.Allowing you to run the stock torque convertor also!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback. The trans is a TransGo HD2 full on kitted with Oregon trans performance billet servos and yes stock converter.

The only other mod I had considered was something on the order of the Yank, (or equiv. 2600 rpm converter), I do occasionally tow a tandem enclosed bike trailer, but loved my ATI 2600 converter in a camaro I built for the street.

As for the motor, and "Maryland Smog Test" I guess that was my basic question. I just rolled 130k. Motor has never been apart, but was orig. an AZ COPO / VIP order in '00, and later long blocked under warranty due to the old piston slap warranties....

I can't believe the difference the 4.56's and the Diablo adjustments have made to the little 5.3 in a heavy vehicle like this truck! While performance is a good thing, I like addressing the power to weight aspect. (it'd be nice to pick up 1.5-2 mpg at the same time, lol.)

Long story short, I suspect the motor may have approx. 100k actual on it, sounds great, doesn't burn oil or leak and is clean as a pin. I've owned it 5 years.

I'm trying to develop my plan of attack. I'm a competent wrench and if a cam/convertor change will give me what I'm looking for, (other than freshening up the heads at some point), if I can still pass smog, that's the primary objective, with better low and mid-range gains ultimately.

Lifted and big tires is not a race truck.....agree.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Velocity1
Thanks for the feedback. The trans is a TransGo HD2 full on kitted with Oregon trans performance billet servos and yes stock converter.

The only other mod I had considered was something on the order of the Yank, (or equiv. 2600 rpm converter), I do occasionally tow a tandem enclosed bike trailer, but loved my ATI 2600 converter in a camaro I built for the street.

As for the motor, and "Maryland Smog Test" I guess that was my basic question. I just rolled 130k. Motor has never been apart, but was orig. an AZ COPO / VIP order in '00, and later long blocked under warranty due to the old piston slap warranties....

I can't believe the difference the 4.56's and the Diablo adjustments have made to the little 5.3 in a heavy vehicle like this truck! While performance is a good thing, I like addressing the power to weight aspect. (it'd be nice to pick up 1.5-2 mpg at the same time, lol.)

Long story short, I suspect the motor may have approx. 100k actual on it, sounds great, doesn't burn oil or leak and is clean as a pin. I've owned it 5 years.

I'm trying to develop my plan of attack. I'm a competent wrench and if a cam/convertor change will give me what I'm looking for, (other than freshening up the heads at some point), if I can still pass smog, that's the primary objective, with better low and mid-range gains ultimately.

Lifted and big tires is not a race truck.....agree.
Can anyone comment on real world experience with any of the previously listed cam options and a 2600 rpm converter? In my opion, the looser converter "helps get things moving." According to Yank's tech. they make a 2600 converter that still allows towing, and maintains the lockup feature. I feel like the stock convertor stalls too low and doesn't allow a performance improved motor to get to it's potential from a dead stop.
Thoughts?