INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

O2 sensor problems after header install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
Same here; my understanding is that this happens (mostly) in uncoated stainless headers. As stated, the rears don't get hot enough.
A big thanks to you as well. Since this does keep happening, do you think I can get dynatech to help me pay for the new sensors? Afterall their parts are responsible.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texas1964
A big thanks to you as well. Since this does keep happening, do you think I can get dynatech to help me pay for the new sensors? Afterall their parts are responsible.

Any thoughts?
It wouldn't hurt to try talking to them. Good Luck. I have been looking at the same headers but have heard way too many problems.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trever1t
You still have rear sensors?
Hmmm, can I get rid of the rear sensors and still pass emmission tests?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the OBX long tube headers (old style dynatechs with the drivers side hump) and if you've seen some of my other threads, you'll see when it's cold outside my truck will softly miss in the mornings until warmed up.. My drivers side 02 heats up MUCH FASTER than the pass side 02. After warming up then the truck runs great. This is due to the fact I think as pointed out earlier that the stainless cools so fast that it's hard to get the 02's hot enough. FWIW I have the 02's in the forward most positions and this still occurs. Just something I'll live with
Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just got the OBX installed. It's 26 degrees outside and it runs perfect. Starts up perfect. I got very noticeable gains. No cats and the rear 02's are off.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by texas1964
Hmmm, can I get rid of the rear sensors and still pass emmission tests?
You can have the rear o2s turned off via a tune and it will pass no problem.
Thats how mine is.
As for dyantech paying for o2 sensors i woudn't hold my breath.
Even though it may be a fault of the product most companies will not replace parts that break because of something they sold you but rather replace a faulty part they sold.
Sucks but kinda how it works in the world of performance.
If you had the dealership replace the o2 when it went abd the first time chances are they will warrenty the o2 for you.
When i had this problem i got my dynatechs before they had been around for a long time so the problem was not well known.
I had to buy two sensors because two of mine got fubard taking them out. Threads freaking came apart for whatever reason.
Anyway the place i got my o2's covered the sensors 3 differant times before i went against the advice of not moving the rear o2 into the cat.
Moved it forward and boom no more problem for me.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I have the OBX long tube headers (old style dynatechs with the drivers side hump) and if you've seen some of my other threads, you'll see when it's cold outside my truck will softly miss in the mornings until warmed up.. My drivers side 02 heats up MUCH FASTER than the pass side 02. After warming up then the truck runs great. This is due to the fact I think as pointed out earlier that the stainless cools so fast that it's hard to get the 02's hot enough. FWIW I have the 02's in the forward most positions and this still occurs. Just something I'll live with
Very very helpful. Thanks.

Would using header wraps help keep the temp up for the sensors? Will Header wraps also help me keep the engine compartment temp down?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
You can have the rear o2s turned off via a tune and it will pass no problem.
Thats how mine is.
As for dyantech paying for o2 sensors i woudn't hold my breath.
Even though it may be a fault of the product most companies will not replace parts that break because of something they sold you but rather replace a faulty part they sold.
Sucks but kinda how it works in the world of performance.
If you had the dealership replace the o2 when it went abd the first time chances are they will warrenty the o2 for you.
When i had this problem i got my dynatechs before they had been around for a long time so the problem was not well known.
I had to buy two sensors because two of mine got fubard taking them out. Threads freaking came apart for whatever reason.
Anyway the place i got my o2's covered the sensors 3 differant times before i went against the advice of not moving the rear o2 into the cat.
Moved it forward and boom no more problem for me.

If I can turn off the rears with a tune and pass emissions, could I just turn the fronts off and still pass, since that is where the problems are?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trever1t
Go to a auto parts store and have them read the codes for you (usually free). You may need to have your tune adjusted to turn off the light. How's it running?

AutoZone will actually hand you a print out of the codes....
Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

I spoke to my dealer/installer today (armed with knowledge learned here) and they said they will just fix the computer to not turn on the trouble light when it reads that code. A remarkably siimple fix that even a dealer can do.

Hopefully this fix can save the next guys from replacing O2 sensors.

Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor problems after header install