INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

O2 sensor problems after header install

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas1964
I spoke to my dealer/installer today (armed with knowledge learned here) and they said they will just fix the computer to not turn on the trouble light when it reads that code. A remarkably siimple fix that even a dealer can do.

Hopefully this fix can save the next guys from replacing O2 sensors.

Thanks for all your help.
Ask them to turn off the code all together. They can do this just as easy. All they have to do is uncheck the code when they tell it to not show a trouble light.
Also on your question of can you turn off the front o2's that would be a big NONO. You have to have those turned on or your truck won't know whats goin on.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Thanks.

They are not going to turn off the O2 sensors, just the trouble light turning on for this fault. They will still read the codes when I bring it in for service, which seems OK to me since I am keeping the truck forever and these guys always service it for me.

What other problems can I get into by not letting these sensors trip the engine warning light?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks.

They are not going to turn off the O2 sensors, just the trouble light turning on for this fault. They will still read the codes when I bring it in for service, which seems OK to me since I am keeping the truck forever and these guys always service it for me.

What other problems can I get into by not letting these sensors trip the engine warning light?
Well the problem is that your rear o2's will be sending a trouble code to the pcm. Regardless of the light the pcm will see a problem at all times.
I have seen a pcm go into limp mode from this before although i don't think it's very common.
In the end you need the rear o2's disabled not just the light turned off.
Also if the rear o2's are still turned on and you just won't see a light then when you try to get it inspected you will fail.
The computer will see the error code and that results in instant failage.
Only if you disable the rears alltogether will you pass inspection.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
Well the problem is that your rear o2's will be sending a trouble code to the pcm. Regardless of the light the pcm will see a problem at all times.
I have seen a pcm go into limp mode from this before although i don't think it's very common.
In the end you need the rear o2's disabled not just the light turned off.
Also if the rear o2's are still turned on and you just won't see a light then when you try to get it inspected you will fail.
The computer will see the error code and that results in instant failage.
Only if you disable the rears alltogether will you pass inspection.
OK, so I just want to be clear, and I sure appreciate the help, BTW. I'm still a newbie here.

One of my front O2 sensors are where my problem is now, so the dealer is going to stop the trouble light turning on for the front reading while still leaving it/them working (hopefully just reading temp problems, or doing whatever the heck they are doing now). What you are saying is that I should ALSO disable the rear O2 sensors? And this combo will let me pass inspection?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I had a trouble code on mine after I installed the headers.But it was for the passenger rear 02 after the cat.Installed a new one.Same thing. It was that the sensor was not getting hot enough to do a certain test when the motor gets at around 131F.
So I shut down that code with HP Tunes.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes even the front o2's will throw a HO2S Heater resistance bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 with longtubes.The sensors are further downstream and will sometimes cause these codes to be thrown
Also disable the rear o2's
Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Sometimes even the front o2's will throw a HO2S Heater resistance bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 with longtubes.The sensors are further downstream and will sometimes cause these codes to be thrown
Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Superb!

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

My Nelson Tune is locked! So this wont get fixed today.

Arrgh!

Like I used to tell my old boss
"the only thing shorter than me, besides you, is my patience"
Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

My Nelson Tune is locked! So this wont get fixed today.

Arrgh!

Like I used to tell my old boss
"the only thing shorter than me, besides you, is my patience"
Well at least you can get nelson to send you a pcm with all the corrections for everything.
For now sit back and

Quick Reply: O2 sensor problems after header install