INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

So yeah..

My 4.8 running royal purple had quite a bit of oil consumption 160K miles.

I swapped in a 5.3 with 45k miles, still running royal purple, and I am seeing a 1.5 qt loss at 2k miles.

I do alot of stop and go traffic driving.

What about you guys?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Truck Club

i had the same problem. I found i had so much vacuum in my crankcase it was sucking oil/vapors through the intake. It would literally suck the oil cap on when you try to take it off. I restricted my breather line to the intake to about an 1/8" hole and my oil loss went away completely. I would use probably a quart every 1000-1500, now i lose none. Maybe not your problem but its worth checking out.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joeyc125
i had the same problem. I found i had so much vacuum in my crankcase it was sucking oil/vapors through the intake. It would literally suck the oil cap on when you try to take it off. I restricted my breather line to the intake to about an 1/8" hole and my oil loss went away completely. I would use probably a quart every 1000-1500, now i lose none. Maybe not your problem but its worth checking out.
Good idea! I'll check that out.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS style engines are known for oil excessive suction through the PCV system. Do a search for "catch can" and you should find a good solution for what may be the cause of your oil consumption problem, that will leave the PCV system intact and functioning as it should
Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Launching!

There are supposed to be new design valve covers available to allow splashed oil to drain from the valve cover baffles to keep it out of the PCV system. I am putting a set on a G8 this week. I'll let everyone know what they look like soon.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by white lightning SS
There are supposed to be new design valve covers available to allow splashed oil to drain from the valve cover baffles to keep it out of the PCV system. I am putting a set on a G8 this week. I'll let everyone know what they look like soon.
Very cool, I hope that they work, I'd buy a set of those
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white lightning SS
that sounds like a solid idea, keep us posted
Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

no oil consumption on my 143k mile 4.8 or my 82k mile 6.0
Old 04-25-2009, 02:23 PM
11 Second Truck Club

my pcv system still works fine, it was just sucking far too much in the crankcase, i just restricted it to an acceptable vacuum. I think a catch can is just band-aiding the problem of too large of a hose, and lack of a valve that would usually restrict the suction because of the smaller orifice inside the valve. I think a catch can is better suited for FI guys that actually have a problem with too much positive crankcase pressure, not too much suction.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by joeyc125
my pcv system still works fine, it was just sucking far too much in the crankcase, i just restricted it to an acceptable vacuum. I think a catch can is just band-aiding the problem of too large of a hose, and lack of a valve that would usually restrict the suction because of the smaller orifice inside the valve. I think a catch can is better suited for FI guys that actually have a problem with too much positive crankcase pressure, not too much suction.
The fixed orifice PCV is supposed to be a fix for the oil consumption problem, my truck originally came with a traditional spring and plunger style PCV. Obviously, the fixed orifice PCV does not work, as I switched to one in my truck and got the same amount of oil in my catch can as I did with the original PCV.

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
no oil consumption on my 143k mile 4.8 or my 82k mile 6.0
Check the hose that goes from the PCV valve to the intake for the presence of oil. Before I got my catch can, I thought that I had one of the freaks that didn't consume oil either. When I checked the oil on the stick it was always in the acceptable range. After reading about the obviously flawed PCV design, I decided to investigate. Sure enough, my PCV hose was coated with oil.

I've always thought that maybe a better baffle system in the valve covers would be a good fix, maybe my thinking was right according to the info that white lightning SS posted about the re-designed valve covers. I wonder if they'll clear aftermarket rocker arms...

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption