INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Oil and filter change under the hood. No more jack or jackstands.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt sound too bad of an idea for us lowered guys. I dont even fit under my truck to look at the exhaust anymore! hah, but theres good and bad to everything
Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua022
If even that long.
I like to wipe everything down and take a short nap while I am under there.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dhpro
Sounds like the perfect set-up for us city mechs! No more cold concrete on ur back, or dirt on ur scalp!!!
Cardboard, mans greatest friend.... then comes the dog.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
Now hold on just a durn minute there, nephew...we call that Saturday night around here!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never really thought about how this would benefit guys with lowered trucks, but that is a good point. I do have a 2" drop in front and 3" in back, but that wasn't my motivation for making this change. I bought the relocation kit for $25 from a guy who found out he didn't have room for it under his hood. Once he threw in the 2 filter for $25 I bit. After I had relocated the filters I figured the next logical step was to complete the project by pumping out the old oil instead of draining it out by gravity. This would allow me to do oil and filter changes strictly under the hood without ever again having to use a jack, jackstands and a creaper to do it the old way. Oh, and no drain pan or gearwrench needed either. Gravity is free while the Liquivac is not altho it isn't all that expensive. The whole thing cost me less than $70(not including labor) so it won't break the bank. For the people who want to stay old school have at it. I'm not trying to convince anyone. This is just an option for you to consider. As far as metal shavings on my oil pan magnet I never see them. I take meticulous care of this LS series(altho I have been burning rubber for 10 years-I have a manual trans.) and have done so since the LS series first came out in the Silverado back in 99. You can eat off of my intake since I bypassed my EGR system within days of driving the truck off of the dealers lot. As far as sludge or metal shavings on my oil pan keep on dreaming. If all vehicles came off of the show room floor with my setup SpeedyOilChange would be out of business.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WorkTruc
Pics?
I have to agree. I'd like to see some pics also. Sounds interesting. Apparently not for everyone. I just like seeing someone do something out of the ordinary.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Just finished the first under hood only oil and filter change using the Liquivac and oil filter relocation kit. I will have to admit that gravity is faster than vacuuum, but vacuum doesn't require a floor jack, jackstands, creeper, drain pan, drain plug wrench or kitty litter. I'll accept that trade off. Changing the filters(I have the dual filter relocation kit) under the hood was a lot easier than under the truck and there was no spilled oil. I just placed a few shop rags under and around the filters as I removed them. I did have one problem using the Liquivac. I couldn't get the Liquivac oil pickup tube all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan through the dip stick tube. The dipstick must make a strange turn as it enters the block because the Liquivac oil pickup tube hit some obstruction before it got to the bottom of the oil pan where it needs to be to syphon out the oil. I removed the dipstick tube(1 bolt) and inserted the Liquivac tube directly into the block and on to the bottom of the oil pan. It worked fine this way. I used Mobil1 Extended Protection(15,000 mile) oil so I won't be doing another oil change for a long time. I do plan to change my filters every 3K miles even though the oil has a 15,000 mile life.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds simple enough, but as others have mentioned, I'm kinda old fashioned and like getting under there and such. I will admit that it does suck on a windy day though...hope it's mild tomorrow as the wife's Matrix is in need of some maintenance
Old 03-21-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you sure you get all the old oil out?