INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Oil sampling (caterpiller SOS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil sampling (caterpiller SOS)

I was just wondering who has every done this on their own trucks? In my line of work I've done a lot of oil sampling with SOS, but nothing on my truck, until now. I was thinking it would be cool if we all shared our results and could compare for abnormal wear....... that just rolls right off the tongue doesn't it...

If you have never head of it before, here is the skinny....
All Caterpillar dealers have a oil lab at there head quarters. you can buy a sample kit for 15 bucks and they will tell you what metals, and how much gas, water, and antifreeze is in the oil... it is very helpful when building a new engine, and also to monitor the wear of a engine that is broke-in and abused daily...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive thought about it, we use a lab in New Orleans that does all the sampling of our Transformer oil. They are spendy tho..

my 5.3 had its strange times... sometimes it would have alot of "Paste" on the draing plug magnent,, sometimes it wouldnt have any. and thats changing the oil when the light comes on..

The 6L very rarley has any on the drain plug but it only has 50k miles instead of 160k miles.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so using the kit u can tell on ur own, or they let u know and u leave the sample with them?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by dhpro
so using the kit u can tell on ur own, or they let u know and u leave the sample with them?
They give you a report and might give advice on when to change /sample next, and possable causes of the high counts, if there are any...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Truck Sponsor

I have always used oil analyzers
Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed the oil in my new 408 after about 400-500 miles. My next oil change will be with Amsoil Synthetic oil and they have an oil analysis kit for less than $30. Maybe they can give me some insight *** to my break-in.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am just starting to do this through AmsOil. I will run my new motor for 500 miles, change oil, run for 1000, sample and change the oil. I will start with 1500miles as my zero point. I figured I would get some wear-in and also be sure all of the assembly lube is flushed out before starting the oil analysis. I will be sure to post results....maybe this could be a sticky if we get enough interest???
Old 11-14-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Truck Sponsor

tht is also what I use,I have been a dealer for amsoil for 9 years now and always have had more than great results using oil analysis
years ago i did a comparo between mobil 1 and amsoil on the same truck with same intervals.Amsoil always had higher TBN,lower wear and alittle higher flash point.
I will see if I can find the papers and post them up.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wheatley
tht is also what I use,I have been a dealer for amsoil for 9 years now and always have had more than great results using oil analysis
years ago i did a comparo between mobil 1 and amsoil on the same truck with same intervals.Amsoil always had higher TBN,lower wear and alittle higher flash point.
I will see if I can find the papers and post them up.
Please do, I would love to see how the amsoil lab papers match up with the cat lab results....

BTW, the cat oil sample is only 15 bucks...

Quick Reply: Oil sampling (caterpiller SOS)