INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Opinions wanted: 5.7L build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
Hey, man, this sounds like a great and fun project...good luck! Is your truck a High Rider (ZR2)? Can't quite tell from the pictures but looks like it might be. My last truck was a ZR2 and I loved it!
ZR2? No. But I could pass as one. All I need are the fender flares which are still on the to-do list to cover up my tires a bit more. Believe it or not, but my truck actually started out as a 2wd Sonoma so low I could barely fit a jack under there.

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
Also, GO VIKES!!! I'm probably the most long-term fan of the Vikings in NC...maybe the South! Believe it or not, I've been a fan since Fran Tarkenton began playing for 'em. WAAAYYYY back when we played sandlot ball, my brother always pretended to be Johnny U and I was always Tarkenton. Since he's my older brother (by 3 years), I'm sad to say the 'Colts' regularly beat the crap out of my Vikes. LOL!
Football? What's football? All I know in this state is "We are the team of 18,000". Hockey prevails on these lands of north back woods and lakes. GO WILD!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hirdlej
My guesstimate will be 360 RWHP and 370 RWTQ if done right
I don't know how I missed this earlier...don't you mean flywheel horsepower? 360rwhp is like 410-415flywheel horsepower. It's got to be a typo otherwise I'm in heaven.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

be careful with ls6 valve springs i have seen numerous springs break and drop valves in the corvettes with all the money your already spending id go for a set of patriot dual springs you can pick them up for about 2 bills.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InchUp
I don't know how I missed this earlier...don't you mean flywheel horsepower? 360rwhp is like 410-415flywheel horsepower. It's got to be a typo otherwise I'm in heaven.
No, I am being serious. Maybe not with the huge tires on the back but if you had standard S10 rims and tires this would be realistic. This is assuming everything is assembled properly and tuned to a T
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hirdlej
This is assuming everything is assembled properly and tuned to a T
Leave the build to me, and the tuning I'll leave in your corner of expertise.

Still uncertain of building my own wiring harness. Joe do you have any experience with this?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLACK-SS
be careful with ls6 valve springs i have seen numerous springs break and drop valves in the corvettes with all the money your already spending id go for a set of patriot dual springs you can pick them up for about 2 bills.
Do they break because they're revved high or because the springs themselves are weak? This truck wont be revved high very often, perhaps only when I'm trudging through snow deeper than my axles or passing grandma's slow *** in the fast lane.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Ha! No electrical work for me. Might wanna try calling speartech : http://www.speartech.com/ They will rework the good harness you have to fit your S10 for only $450 (as per their website). Cheaper than the S10 harness you were referring to earlier, without the dicking around of wires by yourself. An electrician I am not. Check out their REWORKED FACTORY HARNESSES link.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by InchUp
Do they break because they're revved high or because the springs themselves are weak? This truck wont be revved high very often, perhaps only when I'm trudging through snow deeper than my axles or passing grandma's slow *** in the fast lane.

Springs break for a number of reasons, installer error, improper break-in, coil bind, improper installation height, bad retainers, poor locks, or the fact that the metal could be dirty or impure. Install springs with a high quality spring compressor that doesn't touch the spring coils or risk nicking them and you'll be fine. Do keep in mind over the years GM changes valve spring manufacturer's so the initial ones that first came out could have been made by a junk factory.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Rod bolts...can I reuse mine during the rebuild or is there a relatively cheap set of ARP's I should look at? Are they needed with a stock redline?

Also I have all my pushrods still, all are straight and if I don't have the block decked or the heads milled is it even worth looking into new ones?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

I went with Arp rod bolts on my iron 5.7.....from what ive read there worth the investment

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted: 5.7L build