INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Opinions wanted: 5.7L build

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see yours is coming along! Keep us updated!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InchUp
I broke down and bought that harness from Current Performance. I called Speartech and they said they "thought" they can make me a harness, which didn't leave me with a fuzzy warm feeling inside. The harness from CP was actually $825 but when I got off the phone I was very confident about my purchase. Oh well, at least I know this one will be plug and play AND do everything I need like control the e-fans, A/C, engine, tranny and make it so all my gauges still work.

Once all the major parts start arriving I'll open up a build thread for those wondering. There are quite a few S10/Gen III conversion threads going on LS1tech, but all/most of those are guys in little lowered trucks looking to go fast. I feel I belong here more than on LS1tech.
I've seen the work that comes from CP, you're going to be impressed I would bet on how nice the harness is.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

My only comment would be to try and fit some 1-3/4" headers in there if you can squeeze it. Reading an article by CarCraft a while back they lost nothing down low on an engine dyno when switching from 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" headers.

Lemme see if I can find it...

Here we go:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...est/index.html
Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

There are 1-1/2" "shorty" headers by Sandersen (spelling) meant for the 2wd S-truck Gen III swap. They are in the neighborhood of $300 bucks uncoated so I figured since they are no better than f-body manifolds I'd try to save a few bucks and just use the manifolds. The pre-2000 manifolds aren't cast iron so those are the ones I got to modify by just cutting off the flange and extending them a little. I do not think there is enough room for anything larger than 1-5/8" tubes anyway because the steering column gets in the way. It's a tight shoe-horn fit trying to get eight cylinders into a 6 cylinder engine compartment that's actually meant for a 4 cylinder. Thanks GM. But anyways, I originally wanted to use 1-5/8" long tubes but money dictated. Going the economical route now will allow me to upgrade later.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manifolds will seal up better, be quieter, and overall be a better choice. Also your plug wires will survive longer. Go with the manifolds if you can
Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Update: I changed the camshaft selection to the XR259 instead of the XR265.

The XR265 is a 212/218 .522/.529 114 LSA camshaft designed around the basic operating rev range of 1200-6000. The XR259 I just now decided on is a 206/212 .515/.522 112 LSA cam designed for 800-5800 as the basic range in a 5.7L "LS1". With the port and polish of the 241 heads the usable rev range will extend a few hundred RPM's so in reality I'm not losing any ceiling room, only gaining more low end torque and throttle response. It's my way of having my cake and eating it too. The XR259 will better help my goal of 20mpg highway, while providing that neck snapping torque I'm looking for with the tall 35" tires. Though minimal, the lower lobe separation angle will also bring peak torque more into the usable rev range a few RPM lower. In my lightweight 4000lb lifted truck, I'm really hoping it's the cam "made" for this application.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a nice cam.....you could always call up comp and ask them.....I did my custom grind last week and recieved it today....the guy I talked was great he knew his ****! Got my shortblock built yesterday finally lol I put some pics in the thread I started....check em out and let me know what you think...
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Well I did actually talk to people at CompCAMS because one of my good buddies works in the NASCAR department of CompCAMS. I ran my ideas past him and those were the two camshafts he recommended for me, pointing more towards the XR265. He drives a Trailblazer SS with a lot of nitrous and works with high revving cars so it's no surprise to see the recommendation be a bigger cam. If he were to custom grind me a cam it would cost a lot more than what I'm willing to invest in the drivetrain because he's wanting dual springs and incredibly high lift. Kind of "ok" for making power, not really ideal for gas mileage which is still a big goal of mine for 20mpg. I'm also concerned about longevity of the motor lasting as long as it can with how hard I'm fixing to beat on it.

Last edited by InchUp; 04-21-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

So I just ordered all my mufflers. Yes, plural. I just hope that 2.5" true duals will be enough for this 5.7L. I got a dual in dual out Magnaflow muffler with an internal X-pipe crossover inside the muffler, along with two single in single out Magnaflow 4" round mufflers. Three mufflers total. I tried to mimic GM's design they got going these days with the little round muffler right before the exhaust tip to keep everything quiet while not using a huge restrictive muffler. I am hoping for a really quiet tone out of this 5.7L, as if stock from the factory.

The reason for that is because when I'm out deer hunting crawling through the back woods at 4AM, I want to be as silent as possible. That, and I'm on the freeway often for long trips to and from school and a loud exhaust is just annoying to me. I'm willing to give up a little hp/tq for quiet. Already this 5.7L is going to make more than I need.

Crappy *** drawing, but you get the idea.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Oh by the way I moved the exhaust tip location in my head now to the rear of the truck, where in that MS Paint drawing I have the tips coming out in front of the rear tires. Now they're after the rear tires. Having the tips further back will push more noise away from the cab, and help out by not having the exhaust tip on the driver side be right below the gas door. Heat + gas lines = me not happy during a fill up. Haha

These are the tips, on order as of 5 minutes ago. They will be powder coated black.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted: 5.7L build