INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

pickup tube oring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pickup tube oring?

as most of you know, ive been having an oil pressure issue on my freshly rebuilt 6.0. so i took off the pan to look at the o ring. lowered it down and pulled the oring off and it was black. i thought it was supposed to be either red or blue? the engine is an 06 lq9. the oring looked fine, and i noticed that the pickup tube where the oring sits on it has a red strip going around, i guess to let you know that it is supposed to be a red oring. it wasnt pinched or anything, i just want to make sure whats supposed to be there before i put it back together. any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I took my LQ4 apart the O-ring I removed was red, the melling oil pump I purchased came with a black and a green. The black O-ring was too thin and the green matched the red o-ring so I used the green from melling nice tight fit I haven't fired it up yet but I'm sure its correct, hope this helps.

Last edited by bennettracing; 04-10-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Why not swap it out? If the pan is already down, it won't cost much to replace the o-ring if you think that could be the problem. Cheap way to rule out a possible issue.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replace it with a red oring , you already remove the pick up tube so it will need a new oring everytime the seal is broken. GM 12584922. Get from SDPC >>>
Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Yea I'm going to swap it out anyways , Im just hoping this is my problem. I took it off and measured the thickness if it, and it only came out to a lil over 3mm. The red one is is 4.20 mm.so I'm going to get it tommorow and pray that's it.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whenever you take the o ring out ,if its still in perfect conditon( no pinches).. dont throw it away, it regains its original shape within a day or so - ya never know, just incase your in a bind and cant find the right o ring
Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Launching!

I didn't throw it away. I wanted to wait a day or so and measure the thickness to compare it to the new one. Im thinking the builder just put the wrong one in there
Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, a lot of guys have reported this issue when using a black or blue o-ring...can't really blame the builder as that's the part/part number that these oil pumps call for. Personally, I only know that the red o-ring is the one that works from people's troubles on this web site, as it isn't common knowledge. I wish that someone would let GM in on the big secret, so they can change their catalogs and delete the problem o-rings
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 08cheyennesc
Just replace it with a red oring , you already remove the pick up tube so it will need a new oring everytime the seal is broken. GM 12584922. Get from SDPC >>>
I really should write that p/n down just to have. When I did my cam & chain, I bought a new one. Had the window down & didn't realize it blew outta my pocket.

I retraced my steps & looked by roadside. Akin to finding a feather on a stretch of road, near impossible. So I had to go order another, & they wouldn't do it w/o cash in hand. What a hassle.

It took 2 days to get replacement o-ring #2, adding more time to the job than already. Lesson learned: just cause u think u have somethin stuffed in your pocket, when u really need it under these conditions, it won't be there.

Originally Posted by GetBlown01
Yea I'm going to swap it out anyways , Im just hoping this is my problem. I took it off and measured the thickness if it, and it only came out to a lil over 3mm. The red one is is 4.20 mm.so I'm going to get it tommorow and pray that's it.
I never thought of that (measuring), I only knew of the different colors ; but that makes sense too know that I think about it, cause they have to differ somehow. I just knew the right people on PT & they saved me the some grief. Told me there were red, blue & blk. For some reason I thought my orig. was red w/. a green stripe or the other way around. I got the red.

Originally Posted by Daryn
whenever you take the o ring out ,if its still in perfect conditon( no pinches).. dont throw it away, it regains its original shape within a day or so - ya never know, just incase your in a bind and cant find the right o ring
I was unaware they'd regain their shape after 1 day or so.
I think I kept my old one for those JIC instances.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Launching!

So I picked up the red oring, big difference in thickness! Installed it, made sure everything was good,then I put oil in it ,unhooked the spark plugs and turn the engine over a couple of times. Still no pressure. Do you guys think I need to let it fire and run for a few seconds? I know that when you start a truck it takes a second or to before it comes up. Just wondering if turning it over without spark will build enough pressure or not

Quick Reply: pickup tube oring?