INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

piston install

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done. I think the only real issue is the balance. If you have ALL the parts of the broken piston you could weigh it to make sure the new one matches it.

In my opinion...
This is a boosted application, pull it and do it right, or you'll be pulling it soon enough.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your truck 4wd?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
It can be done. I think the only real issue is the balance. If you have ALL the parts of the broken piston you could weigh it to make sure the new one matches it.

In my opinion...
This is a boosted application, pull it and do it right, or you'll be pulling it soon enough.
Yea I have been debating on what to do. The engine is like brand new, but, I have a billet 4.00" stroker crank and pistons and rods that are sitting on my shelf that I was going to use for my Nova. This truck is my DD. I am still debating on what to do. Like I said, I can still see the hatch marks on the cylinder walls. I found a brand new set of replacement pistons and rings so I might go that route. The only difference is that these pistons are coated. What is the formula for ring gap on boosted applications?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Is your truck 4wd?
Yes it is. It looks like the pan should clear the cross member to take it out. Haven't gotten that far yet. Little pissed off at the moment.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that you have to drop the front diff to get the oil pan off of a 4x4...
Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I believe that you have to drop the front diff to get the oil pan off of a 4x4...
It has a 4" lift, would that make a difference?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

get in there and check your crank. make sure that the journal is clean and no nicks... make sure your cylinder wall is free of nicks from the piston... you may want to run one of them little honing ***** through it. make sure to gap your new rings to spec.. plastigauge your rod cap on your crank with ur new bearings. if all is well. tq er down and flush your engine.

next is making sure your blower is okay.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zittman
I guess it might if there's more clearance between the diff and oil pan with the lift...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zittman
No there isnt enough room to get the oil pickup tube out of the baffle plate that is in the pan. There are 4 10mm bolts that hold that plate in the pan. Maybe you could drop the pan enough to get your arm in there to get those 4 bolts out then maybe you could weasel the pan out but I really doubt it.

Ive pulled the pan before when the truck was on a lift and it was a huge PITA, I would rather pull the motor and do all the engine work on a stand. With what youre doing I think you will be better off pulling the motor.

Between the time invested in possibly being able to pull the pan you couldve almsot pulled the motor out and even then youre still working from under the truck doing a job that is best done on an engine stand.

Just my opinion but if I were in your position I would pull the motor...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
No there isnt enough room to get the oil pickup tube out of the baffle plate that is in the pan. There are 4 10mm bolts that hold that plate in the pan. Maybe you could drop the pan enough to get your arm in there to get those 4 bolts out then maybe you could weasel the pan out but I really doubt it.

Ive pulled the pan before when the truck was on a lift and it was a huge PITA, I would rather pull the motor and do all the engine work on a stand. With what youre doing I think you will be better off pulling the motor.

Between the time invested in possibly being able to pull the pan you couldve almsot pulled the motor out and even then youre still working from under the truck doing a job that is best done on an engine stand.

Just my opinion but if I were in your position I would pull the motor...

Quick Reply: piston install