INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

piston rings, bolts and bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default piston rings, bolts and bearings

I am building a lq9 short block on a budget, and have had trouble finding rings, and need opinions on bearings. I found stock rings for 180 new, but no other brand of ring for this motor or ls2, anyone have links or part numbers for aftermarket rings? I was going to do clevette rod bearings, but don't know which one's h or p to get. The mains look good, but the longblock has unknown miles on it and wanted to put some stockers in good measure. I am building it for 11:1 or higher comp, and a small shot (100-150) street and strip, and weekend driver. what about main bolts? I really do not think that I need main studs for my kind of power level. its hard to find stock main bolts too. any hints tips ect. feel free to post up. I build diesels for a living and this is my first ls1 based motor. cam bearings will be changed by the machine shop.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you got some thing good going there Eric. you tried O'Rileys for the rings? thats where i picked mine up but they were for the LS1 i was building... might give Texas Speed a shout as well too see if they can help you out any on some rings..

as far as the bearings, i picked mine up from TSP. i believe they were the H bearings (standard) but id wait on the mains and rod bearings if your taking it to the machine shop. they will check everything out for you

if your just looking for main bolts and you cant find 'em at O'Rileys or another local parts store, might have to go to the stealership for 'em if your just wanting stockers... if not, ARPs would be the way to go IMO...

i know your trying to do this on a budget but just some things i thought i would throw out there for ya man
Old 08-17-2009, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

you can get a set of sealed power rings from o'reilly for around $115
or i can give a site where you can get some hastings rings for $70
Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you say "budget" but honestly main and head studs pay for themselves in the long run. Not only are they far stronger and give you more "growth", but they can be reused time after time. Stock bolts have to be replaced after a single use (install). I also find head studs much easier to "work with" since they act as a guide for dropping heads on (a real bonus when installing heads in an F-body....).

As for rings, you can always call any of the piston manufacurers (Diamond, JE, Wesco, etc). Just about all have file to fit rings that can be tailored to your application.

Let the machine shop check everything before you buy bearings since they might need to hone the mains (almost definitely with studs).

Just FYI....
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like your making progress eric, but if you planning on removing the heads at a later time i would get ARP head bolts... I think i read that if you have head studs you can't remove the heads with the engine installed in the truck... But if you not going to remove the heads anytime in the near future then just get stock bolts... Also i was told that main bolts are reusable...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 AM
11 Second Truck Club

thanks for the replys guys. I will wait on the bearings till the machine shop lets me know what will be needed. the arp bolts would be a good comp between the stockers and the studs at around $149. I want to have the short block done in aout a month or so. I will call tsp, and oriellys and check on rings. I was going to put all of it on a parts ticket and pay it out thru the dealer I work at, but the more I think about it the more I want to do arp bolts. but what about hastings rings? I have seen these when searching this weekend. are they good? I just need some more feedback on these.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

you keeping the same cam?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arp mains, rod, and head studs for sure. You can get the heads off in the truck with the studs. And I wouldn't go any higher then 11.1 if you plan on spraying it.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
you keeping the same cam?
no, for some reason 228/232 xer on a 112+4 sounds good. I am just doing a little at a time.
Originally Posted by built408
Arp mains, rod, and head studs for sure. You can get the heads off in the truck with the studs. And I wouldn't go any higher then 11.1 if you plan on spraying it.
standard arp rod bolts? or the arp2000 pro rod bolts? I am shooting for right at 11:1 with 243's and .041 head gaskets. I am going to put the pistons in dry so I do not glaze the cylinder walls. is that ok to do on these? I pm'd you a few days back, did you get it?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 PM
11 Second Truck Club

btw...sdpc has the best prices on arp bolts!!

Quick Reply: piston rings, bolts and bearings