INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

question about glowing headers (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question about glowing headers (long)

ok i hope this is in the right place.
i've been helping a budy work on his motor home. it has a dodge 440. well the guy he bought it from said the mechanical pump stopped working. so he put in a eletric pump with no regulator. fom what i understand it ran ok but not great. well he hit the key with out knowing it and the carb filled up and over flowed and he didn't know it and started the motor. so it caught fire but he got it out. well they bought a regulator for it and a new holley carb. they messed with it alittle and got it running but when you rev it up it jerks and jiggle and sputters. i put a gauge on the fuel line and from the lowest setting of 0 to the highest setting of 5or 6 it has between 6and 8 psi. so my guess is the pump is already a low pressure pump. i think the timming needs to be adjusted to. but back to the question .
going down a flat level road at a easy 45ph the headers glow red hot. we left the dog house open to watch the motor. the exhaust is new and has full length headers and no cats. full duals also. if you start to take off on a slight incline it will backfire into the carb. i told them to check timming but nobody wanted to listen to me. so after they were done this is what we were left with.

so what could cause this?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is prob running lean that is what causes the headers to glow. the timing sounds like it is off also. i would jack with the timing then if it keeps doinf it make sure it is getting enough fuel.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

timing all day long there, brother!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

see i said timing too lol. you can see the fuel pouring in. i'll see if i can get them to see my way. it was a guys house that he knows and he knew everything "better than i did" so i just stopped giving input lol.

i got another one. if you seafoam a motor and you pour the seafoam into each side of the carb how can one side (duel exhaust) smoke and not the other? oh and does timing cause desieling during shut down or red hot built up carbon? my vote is carbon.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

TIMING TIMING TIMING
is causing both your problems, red headers and the dieseling during shut down
Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Timing shouldn't have anything to do with dieseling. Timing is only affective when the engine is running. Once the engine is shut off, the ignition is turned off and timing is irrelevant at this point.

Detonation can cause glowing headers, but running lean will also cause glowing headers. You should make sure the fuel pump is big enough to supply that motor with the fuel it needs. If ti's a small one, then that will be a bad problem. That's a LOT of motor and it needs a lot of fuel to keep it going.

I'm voting a combo of the 2, but more fuel than timing.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Tribe Shaman

how many miles is on this motor home?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I was working on another fuel injection project (TPI) my headers glowed red because it was too rich. The excess fuel was burning in the headers so it might be too much fuel, but I am with the others check the timing but you might check the float in the carb to make sure it is not stuck
Dave
Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It kinda sounds like he blew the power valve in the carb and it is dumping fuel.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

it has like 86,000 miles on it and the carb was new they just bought it that day. the carb recomended 5-7 psi and there was a bunch of fuel pouring in from what i could tell. but there was no black smoke during any of this from what i could tell. and with no cats you should be able to see if there was black smoke caused by too rich. (i would think)

Quick Reply: question about glowing headers (long)