INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

question about glowing headers (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
it is prob running lean that is what causes the headers to glow. the timing sounds like it is off also. i would jack with the timing then if it keeps doinf it make sure it is getting enough fuel.
definately not. Running RICH causes it to glow because fuel is burning in the headers.

Rich means it takes longer to burn
That + not enough timing = fuel is still burning on its way out.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

If it is stumbling, then I would think that it is either lean puking, or timing. Also, if you get pressure guage of 0 at any time, then I would think that it would be starving for fuel.
Check the vacuum advance, and the mechanical advance as well. Get a timeing light on that thing and rule out timing. Once you do that, you can look at other issues. I have run an engine way to fat and never glowed the manifolds, or headers. I have heard of that issue in a severely lean, or timing way out of wack.

Let us know.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by treyZ28
definately not. Running RICH causes it to glow because fuel is burning in the headers.

Rich means it takes longer to burn
That + not enough timing = fuel is still burning on its way out.

LEAN MAKES HEADERS GLOW!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wen to arkansas this weekend to get th wife and kids. so when i get back i will talk to him and see what he figured out. the sad part is, both guys thought it was running WAY better. so i would hate to see how it was running lol.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:51 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How so?? Not being a dick, just was wondering how lean would make the headers glow?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant answer how correct but can try. When the combustion happens and its to much air it creates more then nessicary heat. Creating the headers to get excessively hot. Hince the glowing red.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
LEAN MAKES HEADERS GLOW!!!!
That simply isn't true. Timed correctly, lean, especially under part throttle/light loads, will not make the headers glow red. If steel, which is exposed to cool ambient air, is glowing red from heat created inside the combustion chamber after it has cooled down (expanding, less pressure etc), your aluminum pistons are already gone.

I have a good amount of theory and experience with running lean under my belt,and contacts who have extensive experience and theory. Lean, under those conditions, will not make the headers glow.

Last edited by treyZ28; 07-02-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he did joke about just throwing a 502 in there and being done with it lol.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

didnt read all the posts but running way rich cause this and not running enough timing can cause the headers to glow..seen several times while dyno'ing alot of race cars when people set their jets in their carb when they read the plugs and set the timing by ear..thats when a wide band and timing light are handy..you make them an extra 80 hp they think you are god
Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirt_track_racer_81
didnt read all the posts but running way rich cause this and not running enough timing can cause the headers to glow..seen several times while dyno'ing alot of race cars when people set their jets in their carb when they read the plugs and set the timing by ear..thats when a wide band and timing light are handy..you make them an extra 80 hp they think you are god
Exactly.

Rich = SLOOOOW burn. Add a late spark with a slow burn and you get incomplete combustion, raw fuel in the primaries and burning in the primaries.

Quick Reply: question about glowing headers (long)