INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Re-use ARP Head Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are they any harder then anyother bolt to NOT screw up the threads when removing? They are even harder material I would think they would be even stronger?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
My point wasnt that they arent strong enough just that they are hard to remove without screwing up the heads of the bolts.
Sounds like to me that's operator error........ Quit buying sockets from Harbor Freight!

James
Old 01-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
How are they any harder then anyother bolt to NOT screw up the threads when removing? They are even harder material I would think they would be even stronger?
Dude do you just follow me around trying to prove me wrong with your "I think" BS or what? Once you start spinning some wrenches and get some experience under your belt then start trying to prove me wrong OK.

With head studs you are only having to spin a nut where as iwth a bolt you have to spin the whole thing and there is ALOT more friction. It has NOTHING to do with the threads, it has to do with the head of the bolt. When you are hunched over in the engine bay trying to get the bolts out sometimes its hard to get straight on to the head of the bolt and with them being 6 point it makes it even harder not to round one off. 12 point heads are much more forgiving.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by closet red neck
Sounds like to me that's operator error........ Quit buying sockets from Harbor Freight!

James
Hey I bought a craftsman impact set so we dont have that problem again
Old 01-14-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are re-useable.
But I also have had issues with the bolt heads during dissassemblies. It isn't uncommon.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude do you just follow me around trying to prove me wrong with your "I think" BS or what? Once you start spinning some wrenches and get some experience under your belt then start trying to prove me wrong OK.

With head studs you are only having to spin a nut where as iwth a bolt you have to spin the whole thing and there is ALOT more friction. It has NOTHING to do with the threads, it has to do with the head of the bolt. When you are hunched over in the engine bay trying to get the bolts out sometimes its hard to get straight on to the head of the bolt and with them being 6 point it makes it even harder not to round one off. 12 point heads are much more forgiving.

WELL HERE GOES!!!!

Who are you to insinuate following ANYONE or maybe hinting to many post? YOu have a comment in EVERY POST.

I was in no way "dissing" you, your work, your truck, or knowledge. I was simply asking how a hardened bolt/fastener gets "fed" up from removale. I know understand by messing up the heads, that all you had to say man. Not hey I want to be dick.

HAHA and to ruin your fun, I have a big belt with a little more knowledge under it then you think. But that is irrelevant and im not gonna break down my knowledge of turning a wrench.

Im not turning this into a bash like the last time 1slowz71. This is all I will say on the subject. My question was more then answered!

Last edited by onebadrubi; 01-14-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:24 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Where's that popcorn smiley?
Old 01-14-2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by silverbrick
Where's that popcorn smiley?
you wont need it I got my point across and am not going to continue the convo anymore. The OP's question was answered more then enough.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wont need it I got my point across and am not going to continue the convo anymore. The OP's question was answered more then enough.
Wow Cody, I'm impressed that you stayed mature about this. Not being rude to you just happy to see you're keeping it cool.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 PM

ARP head bolts after one removal

As you can see the corners of alot of the bolts have a little burr on them, maybe I suck at taking bolts out but I do have a bit of experience at it so IDK.

Quick Reply: Re-use ARP Head Bolts?