INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Rebuild 6.0L help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I was curious if you mistakenly put one seal back wards??? Either way should probally get replaced...

So did you make that engine Stand??? Never seen one that has it's old handle holder... also the head unit looks alot tighter then most.
Got the new seal from dealer. 5 min and I'm good to go. There wasn't a seal on it...... oops.

Yep, like SynergyV8's post, I got the stand from Northern. Worked pretty well. It would be nice if they were a little higher.

Originally Posted by SynergyV8
All of mine have a handle holder, just like all my engine hoists.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3359_200313359

clemsondave, are you having your tune done by the same people who did your Vette?
Yes, Steve with www.LSXTune.com is a buddy of mine and did a hell of a job on the vette. That's my car strapped to the dyno on his website. I'm debating on that air intake you PM'ed me and possibly getting rid of the 200k mile cats before calling him.

Ok, she is ready to go. Any recommendations for break in? My machinist recommended an oil with a high zinc content for apx 1k miles. I used Valvoline VR1 20-50. Any other break in procedures?

Thanks again guys, couldn't have done it without you.

Syn - cam sounds good! Just barely noticeable.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by clemsondave
Syn - cam sounds good! Just barely noticeable.
I've had my fair share of sins over the course of my life time but calling me Syn? That's like calling Jesus "Mr. Without Sin".

Did Texas-Speed or LPE custom grind it exactly how I spec'd it? It should have been a 263/269 advertised duration, 210/216 @ 0.050", .556/.561 lift through 1.7 rockers on a 114lsa and 112 intake center line right? If so, once you get the tune dialed in that cam should wake up down low. I think you are going to yourself when you feel how much torque you have right off idle.

Break in procedures. Just drive. Find yourself some back country roads and vary the throttle % from time to time. Up hills, down hills, straight highway, parking lots...everything. It wouldn't hurt to put a small trailer behind the truck while you're doing this (under 5k lbs) as long as you are using mid-grade gasoline and already have had the PCM tuned. We don't want you detonating from higher loads while un-tuned. Conventional oil change after 250-500 miles. Another with conventional after 1000 miles. Synthetic for the remainder of it's life changed every 5000. Enjoy.

EDIT: Forgot to address the intake. If you want a little extra howl under the hood, go with the CAI kit I linked you to on eBay. I've used that kit and modified it now for many LSx motors with great success and the price isn't too bad either. It wont help you one bit for power except at WOT, so if anything, get the kit to take advantage of the cleaner engine bay look or if your stock air box is broken/damaged. The stock airbox will be noticeably quieter but nothing to gripe about. 6.0L's are naturally louder than the 5.3L anyway, I've noticed at least. The Cat's I'd leave until you're ready to do the full exhaust. Get that thing tuned relatively quickly...the air intake wont change the tune; much.

Last edited by SynergyV8; 02-03-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Could have edited...but already did that once.

I had my son play around with the computer just now to try and estimate what kind of power your new 370ci should be making.

Desktop Dyno 2003 is spitting out 375hp and 405lb-ft of torque at the flywheel. Not bad considering you started with a 300hp 6.0L with piston slap.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cam card:

Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could have edited...but already did that once.

I had my son play around with the computer just now to try and estimate what kind of power your new 370ci should be making.

Desktop Dyno 2003 is spitting out 375hp and 405lb-ft of torque at the flywheel. Not bad considering you started with a 300hp 6.0L with piston slap.
Not only piston slap, but figure about 1/16" all the way around in the intake and heads! Power was waaay down. Pulling my boat, I was down to 8-9mpg. When new, it never changed - boat or no boat - 14mpg or so.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Launching!

MPG will probably stay the same as before but power will be up. Those 80E's and 3/4ton rear ends are hard to squeeze fuel efficiency from. They're strong like an ox, but add quite a bit of rotating mass to your commute.

So now the only things left to do are tune it and drive it. This is where I'd normally exit if your build was a customers, but like I tell them...my phone is always on. Same goes for here, my PM box will always be open.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

I'm 6'2"-6'3" depending on how thick my socks are that day. I know what you mean by bending over for the "common man" engine stand that assumes we're all 5'9". To remedy this, I had my son fetch square tube stock slightly larger than the tube stock used to build the upright on the engine stand. He cut the upright off at the base and welded the larger piece to the base of the engine stand in the same manner the upright was. He cut the larger square stock about a foot from the top and slid the original upright into the larger square stock much like a boom you would see on a crane. A few dowel pins through both pieces with stepped holes every few inches and now you have an adjustable height engine stand.

My son has my wife's DNA so when he's working on a project he slides the unit all the way down to suit his 5'7" stature and when I'm in the mood for a little wrenching it gets moved all the way up. The only problem with this setup is that once there's weight on the stand, it's impossible to safely remove the dowel pins to change the height so one has to plan ahead. Usually our engine rebuilds are complete after the weekend so it's not a big deal.
Same here I am 6'1" LOL!!! I am building a new stand Much thicker and sturdery Then the harbor freight special I have now. I hate when I move it out and it feels like it wants to tip over or like the stands gonna break because it flexes so much...
I used to work for a guy with a water jet so I made my own Parts out of some scrape left over from other jobs... I have few peiecs of scrape from the steal yard but I need a few more feet to build the whole thing... I am only in it about $60 so far and thats the scrap metal, tube for the head unit, and the bolts I had to buy...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, it needs some serious tuning. Getting misfires on 6 & 7, detonation and shuts off at idle sometimes. It was running 30* timing at very mild acceleration; 38-40* with just a tad more throttle. My guess is that it is the new cam + removing the EGR. Putting some 93 octane in it and staying out of the throttle until it gets tuned. Also going to replace the plugs just in case. I never have much luck with plugs - always find the bad ones!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

bummer... get those seals today???
Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Hey for ***** and giggles check your lifter preload on those cylinder... What cam did you stick in it???

Quick Reply: Rebuild 6.0L help