INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

removing driver side head from 5.3 LM7

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing driver side head from 5.3 LM7

I was removing my stock manifolds today to install my LPP long tube headers and after i sprayed the manifold bolts with penetrating oil i noticed one of the bolts (driver side rear engine) seemed loose. So after looking at it close i could tell it was actually broken off I originally planned to just run it without that bolt to see how it was since its obviously been that way and never noticed it but now im thinking isntead of putting everything together and having to take it all back apart maybe i should pull the head and drill the bolt out and replace it. anyone know of any write ups,step by step, pics, etc. of removing the heads. I'm pretty confident I won't have any probs but i like to be well prepared. thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

yes it will leak. Same thing happened to me. Eventually had to pull the head because there's no way to get a drill back to that area of the head.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is what scares me of puttin my headers on.

just take you time and label stuff and pull the head off to get it fixed
Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Put some 243s on it!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
yes it will leak. Same thing happened to me. Eventually had to pull the head because there's no way to get a drill back to that area of the head.
Yea i figured that much. thanks for the advance lol.

Originally Posted by Black'Rado
this is what scares me of puttin my headers on.

just take you time and label stuff and pull the head off to get it fixed
I promise you IT SUCKS!! I ordered the headers,Y pipe, and mufflers i waited patiently for the headers to come in and finally they are here so im excited as hell tryin to get home from work and get them put on. I spray it down wit penetrating oil everything is looking good and then of course SOMETHING had to go wrong and it just so happens to be something that HAS to be fixed and isnt gonna be easy.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Put some 243s on it!
LOL i wish this exhaust is costing me big time and big bucks so far and i already had plans for my income tax money NEED NEW 41's!! lol
Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

It seems simple enough. remove intake manifold,fuel rail and injectors,coil packs from valve cover,spark plugs,valve cover,rockers,pushrods, be sure to keep them all in order of course then remove head and then FINALLY all that to mess around with a broken bolt get that out go buy a new bolt and then go in reverse. goodluck to me. don't you love when something that should take 1 hour (install headers) takes a day or two
Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put the truck up on jack stand under the front frame rails, pull the tire and inner fender, see if you can get back there with a welder( mig) and a nut, try to weld the nut onto the broke part, that is if it is broke off flush or a 1/8 or so in... If you have no access to a welder, then I guess pulling the head is the only option, if you can't get to it to drill it..
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

****, if there's anything sticking out past the hole just grab onto it with a vice grip.

If it's flush or recessed though I see no other option than pulling the head.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try an angled drill, or angled drill attachment, but those bolts are hard enough to drill through straight on...couldn't hurt to try though
Old 02-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u have access to a welder,I would try what the other guy said.Sounds like it might work.

Quick Reply: removing driver side head from 5.3 LM7