INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

ridiculous ticking

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts
Default ridiculous ticking

I've been chasing this tick for about a month now since I installed my GT-7 cam and haven't been able to stop it. I've replaced the headers under recommendation from a friend, and I've replaced the lifters. When I replaced the lifters I found a pushrod that had an abnormal amount of wear on the lifter side....the paint was worn a lot more than the rest of the rods. I thought it was a bad lifter and I replaced it, but the tick is still there. Could my pushrods be too short? I know the LPE cams have a smaller base circle, which is why I ordered .025 longer pushrods for the new cam install. Could they still be too short?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound your prob hearing is just increased valve train noise from the more aggressive cam shaft.. What length rods did you order?? I would have made sure they would suffice before ever installing the cam..
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe just valvetrain noise from the lts.....just a guess
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
The sound your prob hearing is just increased valve train noise from the more aggressive cam shaft.. What length rods did you order?? I would have made sure they would suffice before ever installing the cam..
lol we were typing the same thing
Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking the same thing. After market cam and lifters make more valvetrain noise and then the LT headers resonate the sound even more. BUT as asked. How big are the push rods you ordered.

Did you re-use the stock manifold gaskets or did you use Paper gaskets?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Launching!

I have the same issue with mine also. When i have the hood open and the truck is running all I can hear is the fuel injectors. I hear no lifter noise at all. But when I get inside the truck and drive around I hear a loud ticking noise that sounds just like a lifter. My camshaft is a Comp Cam by Texas Speed, the lift is .581-.591 on 114lc. The pushrods that I have are 7.400 length and was told by Texas Speed that they would be fine. The pushrods are from Smithbrothers and have a restricted end on the lifter side. I also have long tubes on it. Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Mod with training wheels

The pushrods in it now are 7.4, and I ordered 7.425. The increased wear on that one pushrod indicates slack in the valvetrain to me, but it doesn't make sense why it would just be on one valve and not all of them. I did check for length with the new cam, but maybe I made a mistake...
Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Without seeing the actual wear, I would think that you could have a bent pushrod. Have you tried rolling it on an actual flat surface?

I'm guessing you can go and replace a lot of things and the sound still won't stop. I hate to tell you to live with it, but....
Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Mod with training wheels

I checked them all when I pulled the head, they're all perfectly straight. It's not the sound that bothers me, it's that it could mean that I messed up or miscalculated with the install or something is broken.

It was difficult to get any kind of picture of the wear... This pic is of the worn rod on the left and a normal one on the right. Only one on the driver side head was like the left, the other 7 were like the one on the right. It's just the paint on the end thats worn more, which tells me theres more friction...possibly from that rod slamming down on the lifter, which is what it sounds like.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edited 7.4 should be right

Last edited by viciousknid; 01-20-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: ridiculous ticking