INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

should i get rid of the lq9?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get rid of the lq9?

Alright guys heres the deal i got a completly stock engine. I got a procharger sitting in my closet but my question is what should i do with my truck? Should stick with my lq9, build my transmission and install the procharger and go from there or should i save my money and just build a 370 or a 408. My goals are to have a good DD truck while having good times at the track, 12's or maybe even 11's would be fine(but then again most of us are ) Im also new at this performance world so i be learning at the same time. I know basic so im not completly ignorant at it. Ive done alot of searching just cant make up my mind on it. Any comments and suggestions are welcome so feel free to give me ur honest opinion
ZerG
P.S i know u guys get questions like this all the time and might be stupid to some of yall 4 me to ask this but i would really appreciate if yall helped me out
Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i would keep the lq9 and procharge it for cheaper and better DD reliability. JMO
Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, keep the LQ9. It will be a better DD in the long run. Just remember, too, that with these trucks, 12's isn't that hard to acheive, but getting into the 11's is a different story.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:33 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

I agree with these guys. You already have a great motor and if you are going to procharge it there's really no reason to rip it out and pay for an entire replacement rotating assembly etc etc to go with a 408 when your 364 is still plenty good. If it blows up, then go bigger.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Need More N2O Mod

Get a built tranny and slap that procharger on it. keep it a safe boost level and it should be good, later on you can upgrade to a larger motor.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What these guys said. Either way you need a built tranny, so if you can only afford a tranny or a 408, do the tranny.

Plus, an FI LQ9 can scream... If it were me, I'd sell the procharger and get a maggie.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mwalls54
Get a built tranny and slap that procharger on it. keep it a safe boost level and it should be good, later on you can upgrade to a larger motor.
First of thanks guyz for the reply. See this is what i was talking about how u said "later upgrade to a larger motor" why would'nt it be a good idea to just got big now instead of later? my question there?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

for most people this is a question of funding. People want to go bigger faster but don't have enough money to make the build right, like use the right parts and build the supporting parts with it. Like the transmission for example. If you can afford 5k for a 408, are you going to have another 3k for a transmission? a shitty tranny behind that motor will make for chunky soup. if you have enough money to build the motor, transmission, and rear end/suspension then by all means, go for it.

if you just do the LQ9, you will have money for a nice 4l80e that you can use once you have enough money to buy the 408
Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silverbrick
for most people this is a question of funding. People want to go bigger faster but don't have enough money to make the build right, like use the right parts and build the supporting parts with it. Like the transmission for example. If you can afford 5k for a 408, are you going to have another 3k for a transmission? a shitty tranny behind that motor will make for chunky soup. if you have enough money to build the motor, transmission, and rear end/suspension then by all means, go for it.

if you just do the LQ9, you will have money for a nice 4l80e that you can use once you have enough money to buy the 408
Very good point. Well im 19 and work at Discount tire and bring home about 2k every month which isnt bad couse i dont have any bills to pay. but i figured if i save up for six months i should have atleast 10k and start from there! but idk guys thanks for the help i guess ill just install the progharger and go from there.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Well I have been in the same boat as you..... I've had a LQ9 sitting for a year in my shop, I didn't know if I was going to ahead and do a 370 or 408 or just keep the LQ9 and wait till it tears up. Well I decided to go ahead and keep the LQ9 stock just add main/rod/head bolts, I bought a set of Patriot heads and Ed curtis cam FAST 90 intake to go on it as well, and slap the Procharger to it and let her rip. We just ordered a thick set Cometic Head gaskets to help me out with compression a lil. Should be a fun set-up when i'm finished. Just keep the LQ9 stock until you tear up something then go from there....

Quick Reply: should i get rid of the lq9?