INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Small Block / LS Hybrid - Oh My

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
ls blocks are 6 bolt mains. I think you have just a little strength advantage there....
Have to watch watch what you say there, I have seen many many 2 bolt main motors make huge horsepower, stay together soooo.. Many believe that 2 bolts are just as good as the rest... I have seen it to believe it

This is pretty bad ***. I mean the gen 1 350 is proven time and time again to be possibly the best ever, now paired with the ls motor, WOW This will help out alot of the old folks

John
Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I just read the article, and nobody has mentioned that the Motown LS block is .215" taller than a standard SBC. The article talked about 427 ci with a 4" stroke, but with a 4.250 stroke, you could have 454 ci with 6" rods! And how much room is there to bore it? With 4.250 bore and stroke, you get 482 ci.
Just playing with numbers, only Mr. Mitchell knows if there is room.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Have to watch watch what you say there, I have seen many many 2 bolt main motors make huge horsepower, stay together soooo.. Many believe that 2 bolts are just as good as the rest...
Staying together and going 70,000+ miles with no bearing wear, as my stock LQ4 did, are two different things. If you build an LS based engine all the way to the power level that it is living on the edge, it's going to have a lot more power than a 2 bolt SBC that is near failure.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I just read the article, and nobody has mentioned that the Motown LS block is .215" taller than a standard SBC. The article talked about 427 ci with a 4" stroke, but with a 4.250 stroke, you could have 454 ci with 6" rods! And how much room is there to bore it? With 4.250 bore and stroke, you get 482 ci.
Just playing with numbers, only Mr. Mitchell knows if there is room.
From what I read, the problem with that is they kept the location of the cam in the block from the Gen1. Moving the cam up away from the crankshaft was a large contribution to allowing such long strokes in the LSx.

They should've designed it to use the commonly available LSx cam core and timing sets.

I heard talk about this block back in 2004. With GM's LSX and World's Warhawk, I don't get the point in this hybrid block?

The Gen1 SBC still has the advantage since it has been around a LOT longer. The Dart Little Chief heads and the SB2.2 are simply awesome.

I'd rather see more aftermarket stuff based on the R07...
Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AdioSS
...I'd rather see more aftermarket stuff based on the R07...
Yeah,well... I've thought about that too, and I've convinced myself that maybe there isn't much that translates to a street, or even a street/strip car, from a 9000+ rpm engine.
And while we're on the subject, as wonderful as the LS engine is, why do we even need a pushrod engine for the street, since that R07 isn't based on a production engine? What'nahell are the rules, anyhow?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

this reminded me.. i have a friend who bolted ls heads up to a ford small block.. yeahhh i know ford right. but with very little mods the heads go on. of course there is a lot of other work to be done like custom cam and intake manifolds. the cam problem was intake and exhaust valves were swapped ford/lsx
Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm not saying the gen1 engines are crap he'll I grew up building the one in my 85 gmc rcsb. What I am saying though is that no matter what anyone says it is a proven fact that the lsx blocks are stronger and more structuraly sound than gen 1's. He'll my gen 1 crate motor didn't even hold 380 horses for more than 40,000
Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by schino
this reminded me.. i have a friend who bolted ls heads up to a ford small block.. yeahhh i know ford right. but with very little mods the heads go on. of course there is a lot of other work to be done like custom cam and intake manifolds. the cam problem was intake and exhaust valves were swapped ford/lsx
holy hell wtf
Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Yeah,well... I've thought about that too, and I've convinced myself that maybe there isn't much that translates to a street, or even a street/strip car, from a 9000+ rpm engine.
And while we're on the subject, as wonderful as the LS engine is, why do we even need a pushrod engine for the street, since that R07 isn't based on a production engine? What'nahell are the rules, anyhow?
You really aren't serious, are you?

street engines can't benefit from better cooling? better cylinder heads? an extra .100" wider bore spacing? 6-bolt head bolt pattern? better valvetrain stability and cooling?

Word is that GM might be getting out of NASCAR...
Old 12-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

its not cost effective to do this in any way for the price of that block. unless you just wanna be able to say you have it. you still use ls pistons which arent going down in price anytime soon and who knows how much that cam is gonna cost. seems to me it would make more work as well imo.... still pretty cool to see fresh ideas making it to production though. if you want an ls in an older vehicle just make some motor mounts and spend that extra money else where on the build.

Quick Reply: Small Block / LS Hybrid - Oh My