INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Stock Idle cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you TX, I'm annoyed by his constant responses. His experience comes from reading the Comp Cams site and yet this whole board along with LS1Tech's has all the cam info you could want without having to do your own cam swaps first. I've installed cams from very little to rather big and have experience of how they work out in trucks and cars. Some of these have been work trucks that pull over 10k pounds to trucks only used for fun as if they were someone's Corvette. Trucks don't really use much difference in the cam choice area. Take a look around LS1Tech. The fast trucks on here you'll find have similar converter, gear, and cam choices as alot of F-Bodies over there. Pretty much we still use similar cams, but choose the cams based partially on how much converter we plan to run and performance goals. If I were going to recomend a cam for someone who was already planning on running a 3600 stall I sure wouldn't start with a cam that is barely enough over stock or smaller than an LS6 cam. In a 5.3L for a stockish idle you might look into the 216/220 on a 114LSA from Trick Flow or the famously stock idle cam GT2-3. That's pretty much all in the tuning to get the idle rock solid and smooth. Either of those two would work ok with a stock converter and really well with a 3000-3600 stall as mentioned as an option.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
I'm with you TX, I'm annoyed by his constant responses. His experience comes from reading the Comp Cams site and yet this whole board along with LS1Tech's has all the cam info you could want without having to do your own cam swaps first. I've installed cams from very little to rather big and have experience of how they work out in trucks and cars. Some of these have been work trucks that pull over 10k pounds to trucks only used for fun as if they were someone's Corvette. Trucks don't really use much difference in the cam choice area. Take a look around LS1Tech. The fast trucks on here you'll find have similar converter, gear, and cam choices as alot of F-Bodies over there. Pretty much we still use similar cams, but choose the cams based partially on how much converter we plan to run and performance goals. If I were going to recomend a cam for someone who was already planning on running a 3600 stall I sure wouldn't start with a cam that is barely enough over stock or smaller than an LS6 cam. In a 5.3L for a stockish idle you might look into the 216/220 on a 114LSA from Trick Flow or the famously stock idle cam GT2-3. That's pretty much all in the tuning to get the idle rock solid and smooth. Either of those two would work ok with a stock converter and really well with a 3000-3600 stall as mentioned as an option.
wow, i am very happy you came in here zippy, i thought i was the only one thinking this guy was a joke.........
Old 08-31-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm reading this post everyday and gave it alot of thinking since this truck is my daily driver but I drive it for like 3 hours a day 3 mins. till university and cruise alittle at night thats my driving and in winter I tow a trailer with 3 quads at the back So I went ahead and ordered the 220/220 from Texas speed on a 114 lsa so I guess I dont care about the stock Idle anymore.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't post very often and I know some people wont listen to anyone without a high post count, but I believe Stewart and AP will vouch for me. It's painfully obvious that some don't believe that a 3000 or higher converter and a decent sized cam doesn't have a place in a daily driver. But like has been stated, with the engine management we have now and the current line of converter’s, daily driver status brings on a whole new meaning. My truck is on the company payroll and has been since new, so it is definitely a daily driver. I am running a baby cam (GT2-3) with a Yank TT3000 and 4.56's. I'll be the 1st to admit the gears and converter are a little out of place with the Radix, but were already in place from when I spraying it. But still in no ways uncomfortable due to my tire height being 32" and my highway travel distance is not that overbearing. Hell, I can still manage 17 to 18 mpg on the highway. Long story short, don't be afraid to push the envelope on conventional wisdom.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tried into choosing a small cam but Couldn find reasonable one for me . I want the truck N/A because I dont have future plans in FI it. I wil be driving the truck for 2 more years before installing anything more on it. And for the stall IM fed up of my truck after the tune a toyota corolla can take me down till 60kph until my truck pulls at 3000 rpm then I regain my power back So I just hate it.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Denali Dude
I'm reading this post everyday and gave it alot of thinking since this truck is my daily driver but I drive it for like 3 hours a day 3 mins. till university and cruise alittle at night thats my driving and in winter I tow a trailer with 3 quads at the back So I went ahead and ordered the 220/220 from Texas speed on a 114 lsa so I guess I dont care about the stock Idle anymore.
actually you CAN get a stock idle out of that cam in a 6.0. especially with the 114 lsa. ITS ALL IN THE TUNING!!!!! ill even go as far as to say if you still have converters under there it will pass emmissions in the 6.0 (with good tuning)

I think we should take this discussion to a new thread so we stop whoring up this one. I feel as if there's no civil way of going about striking up a debate because too many of us have differing ideas on what a truck should do.

I had another lengthy response cocked and loaded ready to be fired after you posted that last post, TXsilverado, but now that I think of it, I'm not sure we're even talking about the same things any longer. This thread has gotten so misconstrued that the original post isn't even being talked about anymore. The original poster hasn't been back for exactly a week, so I feel like I'm waisting my time with someone who is not serious about a cam swap.
nah im done with the conversaition. if stock cams are what float your boat who am i to say otherwise. i just didnt want to see this guy waste 400 on a stockish cam based on someones misinformed readings.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

good grief. Why do ya'll give such hell to a guy for having a more conservative attitude toward camswaps? I've always been told to stay conservative with the cam choice. Of course the people who said this came from earlier generations of EFI. Look at TBI, TPI, and early LT1 computers. There were only a handful of people able to tune a PCM back then and it was easier for them to tune a milder cam.

Since the LS1 came out there have been a LOT of improvements on tuning. LT1 people are now running cams with more than 250* duration @.050 with LSA less than 110 with the factory PCM. Back in the day the CC306 (230/244@.050 on a 112) was considered a huge cam...

Not every tuner is that great so it is easier to get good drivability from a small cam.

Personally, I don't think that it would be a good idea to put a cam with more than 220* duration@.050 in my truck. It has a stock converter, 3.23 gears, and 30" tires. It is already pretty weak down low (at least compared to my stock internals LT1 Impala SS with a 3200 stall, 4.10 gears, and 28" tires.) I also occasionally tow stuff with it. I bought a fullsize V8 truck so I could tow my Impala.

I know that more gear and a loose converter would REALLY wake this truck up (that's how my SS was able to pull a tire and break into the 12s with just bolt-ons), but I actually like the gas mileage I get from the stock converter and gears. I get over 16 around town, and I've gotten a best of 25mpg on the highway. With the right cam both those numbers should go up along with average torque numbers.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by AdioSS
good grief. Why do ya'll give such hell to a guy for having a more conservative attitude toward camswaps? I've always been told to stay conservative with the cam choice. Of course the people who said this came from earlier generations of EFI. Look at TBI, TPI, and early LT1 computers. There were only a handful of people able to tune a PCM back then and it was easier for them to tune a milder cam.

Since the LS1 came out there have been a LOT of improvements on tuning. LT1 people are now running cams with more than 250* duration @.050 with LSA less than 110 with the factory PCM. Back in the day the CC306 (230/244@.050 on a 112) was considered a huge cam...

Not every tuner is that great so it is easier to get good drivability from a small cam.

Personally, I don't think that it would be a good idea to put a cam with more than 220* duration@.050 in my truck. It has a stock converter, 3.23 gears, and 30" tires. It is already pretty weak down low (at least compared to my stock internals LT1 Impala SS with a 3200 stall, 4.10 gears, and 28" tires.) I also occasionally tow stuff with it. I bought a fullsize V8 truck so I could tow my Impala.

I know that more gear and a loose converter would REALLY wake this truck up (that's how my SS was able to pull a tire and break into the 12s with just bolt-ons), but I actually like the gas mileage I get from the stock converter and gears. I get over 16 around town, and I've gotten a best of 25mpg on the highway. With the right cam both those numbers should go up along with average torque numbers.
and you are right...a 220 would probably be a horrible cam for your setup no doubt. were not saying that every vehicle needs the same cam...it goes by the setup. in this situation were working with a 6.0 and a 3600 converter. i dont think denalis come with any less than 3.73 gears either. so with him wanting a stock idle a 220 on a 114 is a decent choice.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AdioSS

You being up some interesting points, but I have some questions based on your points of your truck. You bought a fullsize V8 truck so that you could tow your Impala. Who buys a truck to tow something with that has a 3.23 gear. Does a tow vehicle need to be able to do almost 100mph in second gear. A truck that is truely setup for towing should also have some gear to it just as a truck used for fun. Your truck would be the example that a cam isn't needed when you can gain a half second or more alone in just a gear and mild converter change that would also net you better towing ability. Gas milage is very important, but I'd take the 20-22mpg I get with more gear, cam, and a bit more converter over the 25mpg from a stock cammed, highway gas milage geared truck. No offense on your truck. Just using the example of the methods of going after power. Some should do a cam swap and yet some have so much room yet to grow without ever touching the valve cover bolts.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1Bear
I don't post very often and I know some people wont listen to anyone without a high post count, but I believe Stewart and AP will vouch for me. It's painfully obvious that some don't believe that a 3000 or higher converter and a decent sized cam doesn't have a place in a daily driver. But like has been stated, with the engine management we have now and the current line of converter’s, daily driver status brings on a whole new meaning. My truck is on the company payroll and has been since new, so it is definitely a daily driver. I am running a baby cam (GT2-3) with a Yank TT3000 and 4.56's. I'll be the 1st to admit the gears and converter are a little out of place with the Radix, but were already in place from when I spraying it. But still in no ways uncomfortable due to my tire height being 32" and my highway travel distance is not that overbearing. Hell, I can still manage 17 to 18 mpg on the highway. Long story short, don't be afraid to push the envelope on conventional wisdom.

i totally agree with you, and you are right alot of peope go by post count, and will probably ignore you, but they dont know that you know this new style engines inside/out, you probably know more than 95% of the people on here.... i know you have very good info. and i hope some these newbies read/learn from it...

Quick Reply: Stock Idle cam