INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

stock rods or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:26 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stock rods or no?

trying to save a little money for now to get some other stuff for my truck how much can the bottom end maybe hold if i use stock rods with arp bolts and forged pistons. will this be good to say 550 or better. if so how long are these will i have to get custom pistons because the rods are shorter than the after market ones. will i have to get special pins? do pistons come with there own pins? never bought this stuff before so help me out here please. really close to time to order so i got to get the list going. it WILL be turbo'd
Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking in the FI section on tech, those guys seem to think that stock rods are good to 550-600 flywheel hp. Good rod bolts like ARP or the Katech ones would be a wise addition. Keep in mind that some rod bolts will require re-sizing of the big end as they distort the bore a little. That is where the Katech bolts shine. I believe that they advertise no re-sizing is needed.

I believe companies keep forged pistons in stock for the 6.098" rod in the 5.7 you have. Most likely in the 3.903" bore size or 3.905".
Old 02-01-2006, 07:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure that the pin size is right, a lot of aftermarket pistons use small block pins which are .927" and the Gen 3 pins are larger (can't remember the exact diameter).
Old 02-01-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

5.3,5.7,6.0 rods are 6.098" and the pins are .945". The rods should be plenty strong for your appl. just get some bolts like stated before. Pistons come with pins. There is a good selction of pistons for stock rods. check JE, diamond, & Mahles' web sites. They seem to have the biggest selection of LSx pistons. The lighter the piston the less stress on your rods. Diamond for some reason tend to be a little heavier. I went with diamonds on mine because they were the only off the shelf piston I could use with my 6.0 since I'm using LQ9 stock rods. They were on sale & I didn't want to give the $750+ for custom made pistons. There are a lot of 5.7(LS1) pistons offered out there for stock rods with Mahle and JE. They are both nice pieces. I'd go with Mahle personally.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

There is a procharged truck in Louisiana that dynoed 660rwhp with stock rods Truck is still running strong and this was almost a year ago.
I am running stockers in mine with ARP rod bolts, I'm also running Diamond pistons. mjhoward is right, the diamond pistons were heavier than my stock pistons.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

sweet cause i still wanna do my stroker later so i don't wanna put a bunch of money in it right now just to have to do it over again. diamond has a new pistons out that really looks nice and its for turbo and supercharge app's the top ring sits down real far which i figure would help strengthen the top sieds of the piston it looked stronger anyway. so let me get this out there and see if i need to add more
list:
rod bearings, arp bolts.
pistons,pins with .945 and rings (which one?)
and main bearings
new cam bearings because i'm gonna have the block bored and cleaned.
this sound all about right? should i do anything to the stock rods?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

That should about cover it all for the shortblock. Mahle has packages with pistons and rings(pins pretty much always comes with pistons). They are the best deal. Speed pro, total seal, etc. are all good rings. A good set of rings will run you $100-150. You shouldn't have to do anything to the rods.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:11 PM
12 Second Truck Club

sweet no if my money would get here lol.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

The Katech rod bolts dont need any re-sizing. You just have to tap out the shims that are wrapped around your current rod bolts. You will see what I am talking about when you pull the oil pan. Remove the old bolts, tap out the shims, and insert Katech bolts, TQ to 50 lb/ft. Done. Maybe I missed it in an earlier post but are you using LQ4 or LQ9 rods? The LQ4's rods are slightly thinner which many relate to slightly weaker.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

no stock ls1 rods. i've been searching and searching and found that being that our rods are cracked capped that you don't have to resize them with any rod bolts. and appearantly you can't resize a cracked cap rod. because they have to grind down the separation where the cap and rod go together and then bolt it together and bore that out to resize it. so it would essentially ruin a cracked cap rod. FROM WHAT I READ.

Quick Reply: stock rods or no?