INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Towing/daily driver cam vs. Hot rodding/drag race type of cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing/daily driver cam vs. Hot rodding/drag race type of cam

I see alot of people installing 4.10 4.30 4.56 and a couple of 4.88 gears in there trucks. As well as some pretty stout cams from a lift consideration and degrees at .050. These big cams seem to do fine with alot of gear or for people who drive around town and drag race at the local drag strip,but,what cams are available for the guys who dont need all that high end power. Such as the people who tow or just wanna good sounding truck that might drive 500 or 1000 miles to a vacation spot. 3.73 or 4.10 gears happen to be a factory towing package gear and still give some kind of highway drive ability. Would love to hear from matt@texasspeed and blsnelling been watching there resent and past post. Seem to have alot of knowledge about this stuff
Old 10-22-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill sell you my stock cam. it did real good on my last 1500 mi road trip
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

LOL WELL I KNOW THEY MAKE CAMS DESIGNED FOR DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS.PROLLY A 4x4 TYPE OF CAM WOULD BE FINE FOR WHAT IM DOIN. BUT I LIKE TO HERE THE O'L LUMPIDY DUMP TO KNOW WHAT I MEAN
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not going to hear lumpity lump with a torque/towing style cam...lumpity lump is a byproduct of larger overlap numbers, which torque cams don't have. You can't have both...mean cams sound mean and mild cams sound mild.

How about a little info about the truck...engine size, cab configuration, etc. This will help us give you some suggestions
Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Take a good look at this thread https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=390058. There have also been a number of other towing/daily driver discussions over the past several years. Also, just for the record, I returned my 212/218 cam back to comp and had it reground to a 206/212 with a 112 LSA (same as their 54-408-11 cam). That's what I'll be putting in my 408 build.

Steve
Old 10-22-2010, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

As of right now hayes what im dealin with is a totally factory 03 5.3 silverado. I have installed 3.73 gears to assist in hauling my sprintcar to the track. That was the main purpose for the 3.42 to be thrown in the trash can. Had a 2000 gmc sierra sle with a 5.3 and 3.73 totally stock but it needed just alittle more.however i crash it.so now i have to start over with what i have now. And i am very unformiliar with how to tune a newer computer controlled vehicle. To give you an idea of what im thinkin...3.73 cold air intake,throttle body, long tube exhaust that was brought to my attention thats on ebay, ported heads by www.timzeppracingengines.com designed for the application im doing and possibly an intake such as ls6 or a fast. But before i buy parts i like to take my time and think about it for awhile to get the best for the buck.this is why i ask about the cam. After i do the exhaust i would like to do the heads and cam as a package.but i would like the cam based off the head flow numbers.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by headhunter92
as of right now hayes what im dealin with is a totally factory 03 5.3 silverado. I have installed 3.73 gears to assist in hauling my sprintcar to the track. That was the main purpose for the 3.42 to be thrown in the trash can. Had a 2000 gmc sierra sle with a 5.3 and 3.73 totally stock but it needed just alittle more.however i crash it.so now i have to start over with what i have now. And i am very unformiliar with how to tune a newer computer controlled vehicle. To give you an idea of what im thinkin...3.73 cold air intake,throttle body, long tube exhaust that was brought to my attention thats on ebay, ported heads by www.timzeppracingengines.com designed for the application im doing and possibly an intake such as ls6 or a fast. But before i buy parts i like to take my time and think about it for awhile to get the best for the buck.this is why i ask about the cam. After i do the exhaust i would like to do the heads and cam as a package.but i would like the cam based off the head flow numbers.
extended cab
Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Budhayes3 this is for you i just read the details about your truck (the mods) the cam you have in yours is in the area that i was thinkin.however due to being unfamiliar with the new tech stuff,i dont know what some of the other abbreviations are,cia is cold air intake,figured that one out. Sorry to sound dumb but im really not.im 40 years old and i hate computers.i avoid them at all costs. When this truck breaks i get someone else to fix it.but i want more power so im forced to learn.i can build the old school stuff and run like hell tho. Glad you responded to the post. I was hopin you would just forgot to add your screen name next to the other two. Look forward to chattin with ya
Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

budhayes3 this is for you i just read the details about your truck (the mods) the cam you have in yours is in the area that i was thinkin.however due to being unfamiliar with the new tech stuff,i dont know what some of the other abbreviations are,cia is cold air intake,figured that one out. Sorry to sound dumb but im really not.im 40 years old and i hate computers.i avoid them at all costs. When this truck breaks i get someone else to fix it.but i want more power so im forced to learn.i can build the old school stuff and run like hell tho. Glad you responded to the post. I was hopin you would just forgot to add your screen name next to the other two. Look forward to chattin with ya
steve bryant thank you !!! I saved that thread and just so everyone knows i dont want to go diesel i dont have truck payments anymore and dont want them.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

extended cab
sorry folks its www.timzeppengines.com

Quick Reply: Towing/daily driver cam vs. Hot rodding/drag race type of cam