INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Towing/daily driver cam vs. Hot rodding/drag race type of cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:00 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't sound dumb man, welcome to the site and the wonderful world of EFI...and I also just noticed that you're from South Jersey, I'm from North Jersey...and I'm also 40 years old.

My cam would be a great choice, you could even have it ground with more lift to help it flow more and put up better HP numbers up top. No need for head work with a mild grind like this either, but a good set of heads is always a worthwhile mod IMO. This cam works great with the stock converter, but I like it even more since I installed the Circle-D 2800-3k that I have in there now. If you search both this section and the GM Engine and Exhaust Performance sections for "212/218", you'll find numerous threads about this extremely popular Comp grind, which has proven itself time and time again. Personally, I would run a mild converter with the 212/218, 2600 at minimum, but many have reported it not to be necessary. Don't waste your time with the LS6 intake, many have done it and reported little to no gain, and it's not a direct swap. Guys use the stock intake on bigger cubes than ours with much bigger cams and better flowing heads. The new FAST LSXRT intake has put up about 20hp gains throughout the RPM band, but at a hefty price tag...still, if I had the bucks, I'd be rocking one on my future LQ9 project. The ebay stainless headers are a no brainer for the price, and to further free up the exhaust, you could either do a complete cat back system, or just swap out the factory muffler to a straight through unit like a nice large case Magnaflow, which is also stainless which is a necessity in our neck of the woods
Old 10-23-2010, 12:25 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep 212/218 is a good lil cam that works great with a 3000 stall
Old 10-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Where's the Beef?

I'd like to be add not to be scared of a "STALL". It is too commonly associated with race applications but in all seriousness the Circle D 2800-3200 converter is loose enough to build the rpms you need to pull and tight enough to not just jump way up when you touch the gas. I've towed my 19ft ski boat over 100 miles 1 way with this converter and mods in my sig with no issues. Tuning would be required for the converter and cam to get full benefits. This can be done by a local dyno tuner or from a mail order tuner such as Blackbear, Nelson, or Wheatley who are sponsors here on the site.

I have some videos showing it posted on a thread in the multimedia section if you search it for Stall. At first you will find it weird but will quickly adjust and learn to love it. Another benefit is that it reduces your Shift Extensions so that your rpms do not drop as much when you shift. Allowing you to remain in the power band of your engine and not bog down. Once it locks at cruise it's just like having a stock converter.

Keep in mind that the 4L60 doesn't like power or heat. A Tru-cool max 40kgvw trans cooler would be HIGHLY recommended to keep temps down as well as a Corvette servo and HD2 shift kit to reduce band slippage. This will help increase the life of your trans.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its been said before. Some people get pissed off when it is suggested. But I'd look into a good, used mp112. If you do all the proper complementary mods along with the cam swap; you'll be in the same neighborhood moneywise. Tow truck on low boost > cammed tow truck.

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
Take a good look at this thread https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=390058. There have also been a number of other towing/daily driver discussions over the past several years. Also, just for the record, I returned my 212/218 cam back to comp and had it reground to a 206/212 with a 112 LSA (same as their 54-408-11 cam). That's what I'll be putting in my 408 build.

Steve
A 206/212 in a 408? Thats a small cam, even for a 5.3. A waste IMO.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like they said^^ 212/218 seems to be a proven torque/dd cam. you can use the stock converter, but if your like alot of us and want more, 28-3200 circle d seems like a no brainer. ebay lts or the pacesetter lts are a good bang for the buck exhaust mod and i personnally love magnaflow for the quality and price.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Awesome great responses with alot of good information. Several of them just saves me alot of money. And yup that fast intake is a hefty price tag for only twenty horse power. Thats the kind of mod i cant see paying for.the cost out ways the gains. And as for the ls6 swap well if its not a direct bolt on....i realyly dont wanna get into constantly messing with something or a bunch of fabrication outside of an exhaust system. Bud hayes you'll be hearing more from me. Often i go to new egypt speedway up by great adventure maybe we could meet there sometime. Thanks fella's its saturday mornin and im off to do my first mod 3.73 gears maybe i will get into porting that tb. But you hear from me before i do. Peace
Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by headhunter92
awesome great responses with alot of good information. Several of them just saves me alot of money. And yup that fast intake is a hefty price tag for only twenty horse power. Thats the kind of mod i cant see paying for.the cost out ways the gains. And as for the ls6 swap well if its not a direct bolt on....i realyly dont wanna get into constantly messing with something or a bunch of fabrication outside of an exhaust system. Bud hayes you'll be hearing more from me. Often i go to new egypt speedway up by great adventure maybe we could meet there sometime. Thanks fella's its saturday mornin and im off to do my first mod 3.73 gears maybe i will get into porting that tb. But you hear from me before i do. Peace
well that didnt go well at all removed the rear cover and found spider gears that definately need to be replaced. Surprised the rear hasnt exploded yet to be honest. Put the cover back on filled it with fluid. Now i have to order a carrier section for the new gears. Bill want to say thanks once again for the phone call and the help. Now its just a matter of ordering and waiting for the mailman.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

u gonna put a trutrac in at the same time?
Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed. Why put such a small cam in a 408. I would go no less than TR224 in a 408 and that is a small cam for the motor.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 5.3

Agreed. Why put such a small cam in a 408. I would go no less than TR224 in a 408 and that is a small cam for the motor.

Quick Reply: Towing/daily driver cam vs. Hot rodding/drag race type of cam