INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Towing/daily driver cam vs. Hot rodding/drag race type of cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:51 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HEADHUNTER92
well that didnt go well at all removed the rear cover and found spider gears that definately need to be replaced. Surprised the rear hasnt exploded yet to be honest. Put the cover back on filled it with fluid. Now i have to order a carrier section for the new gears. Bill want to say thanks once again for the phone call and the help. Now its just a matter of ordering and waiting for the mailman.
Glad to help man, sorry to hear about your diff, but it's better that you found it this way then after you put new gears in it and possibly had to replace them twice. Here's the link to Ron's Machining Service that we talked about...best prices that I've seen: http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/servlet/StoreFront
Old 10-23-2010, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well bill........... I ended up ordering the detroit trutrack. So by next weekend i will have a 2003 silverado ext. Cab 5.3 truetrac with 3.73 and an edelbrock deisel muffler with manifolds and cats. Save some money and get that exhaust system from ebay and then get it tuned.that muffler is prolly gonna take some fabrication tho. Really appreciate the call to help me out. Just goes to show....some of the new people.....what kinda of good people are on this site. Startin to see that theres alot of great people on here. Heres what happen folks i intended take do a simple gear swap in the rear...i opened up the rear and there layed chunks of my spider gears.keep in mind the truck has 128,000 miles on it and i tow to different race tracks quite often.sometimes 3 hours away.i put it back together and sent a pm message to bill/budhayes to ask whats my best options. Typed my cell number and he responded pretty quick. Gave me the information and options as well as a place to get a good deal. Those kind of people are hard to find now a days or there just few and far between. Thanks for the help bill. One day hopefully i return a favor to ya.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to help Jeff, that's what we're here for, to help each other out You can return the favor by winning the race next spring or summer if I can make it down to New Egypt to watch you run
Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

November 21st at bridgeport speedway. Got a good driver drivin my car for me. It should be very interesting. I really dont think its gonna be very hard. Hehehehehehe:d finally race of the season that means run what ya brung in my book
Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01 5.3
A 206/212 in a 408? Thats a small cam, even for a 5.3. A waste IMO.

Agreed. Why put such a small cam in a 408. I would go no less than TR224 in a 408 and that is a small cam for the motor.
Maybe not for his use, depends what he's using it for.

I'm guessing he's looking to build the ultimate low-end torque monster by the looks of his current setup. Hence the tri-Y headers and tiny cam in a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

My main objective is torque below 5,000. My truck weighs about 6,500 pounds alone with a lot of rolling resistance. The trailer weighs 8,600 pounds. If you tow in the Rockies, you're looking at steep grades and high altitudes.

This is a completely different game than a half ton short bed with standard cab. A stock converter works way better too. With a rig like mine, you need to be able to pull hard off idle, not wait until 2,500 to 3,000.

Steve